Tap Water Test

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I just tested my water straight from the tap without treating it. It said the chlorine was 0 but the ammonia was 1.0. Its hard water with a pH of 7.2 and a KH of 80 ppm. What does this mean? Should I use dechlorinator on it? So far I have been using straight RO water without adding anything to it except dosing ferts for the plants. I have learned that that is not good for freshwater fish. What should I do now? I'm so confused.

You should still use a dechlorinator as there may still be chloramines or heavy metals still in the water. 0 chlorine is uba strange. I'm not sure about the ratio of R/O to tap water, but i beleive it's easier to use 50/50, so you don't need to add extra minerals etc =)

Ok thanks that makes sense. So do I get the kind that is dechlorinator and detoxifies heavy metals or just straight up dechlorinator?

Most good dechlorinators will detoxify heavy metals, I know Seachem Prime does, which is one most people recommend
smile.png

It sounds like your water supplier is using ammonia rather than chlorine to treat the water supply?  I'd check directly with them to find out what they're putting in the water.

Does your chlorine test also detect chloramines? 

I'd be wary about using that water with 1ppm ammonia.  Seachem Prime will help detoxify some of that ammonia but I don't know if it would neutralise enough of it to be safe.

Just a reminder that chloramines, when they break down, become chlorine and ammonia. Chlorine will outgas, ammonia (as ammonium which is the form most aqueous  is in) does not. Choloramine does not outgas. Also,

Testing for chloramines. If you're testing for chloramines, make sure the test kit you've borrowed is testing for "total chlorine" or "combined chlorine," not for "free chlorine." A test for "free chlorine" would misleadingly read zero in chloraminated water.
from http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/chlorine-chloramine

It sounds I should stick with RO water since that has been working and go to the fish store to see about getting something that will add the good minerals that I need back to the water. Thanks guys!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back