Tanks

Rachel

Reaction score
I dont know if it makes a difference, but if you were to have sea water fish in a tank, how large would the tank need to be to have about 20 fish? Or how large to have 10? And also what is the suggested amount of fish per type per tank? Thanks x

It realy depends on the fish, but let me tell you, for 20 fish of anmost any type of saltwater tank, you would need over 150 gallons and probably more. do you have any type of fish you are particularly inclined to get? saying I want 20 saltwater fish is about as specific as going into a resturant and asking for food :/

Well i really wanted to get a seahorse, a starfish, clown fish, pufferfish angelfish etc but i didnt realise the tank would need to be that large. How many cm's is that please? Do you know any other fish that would mix well with the ones i suggested? :) thanks

Seahorse, pufferfish AND angelfish?

You'd need 300-400 Gallons to do that and even then....

I don't mean to be rude, but you need to do some reading on fish compatibility, figure out what you want to keep, and then go from there...

Ok, so just imagine i have 1-2 of the following, seahorses, tangs, puffers, moorish idols, angelfish and clownfish, with just one starfish. How many gallons do you think that would be? Would they all be fine together? I am only just learning about this i would appreciate it if you could help me a little.

Ok, so just imagine i have 1-2 of the following, seahorses, tangs, puffers, moorish idols, angelfish and clownfish, with just one starfish.

Do you mean one or two on your list total and not one or two of each on your list?

Rachel said:
Ok, so just imagine i have 1-2 of the following, seahorses, tangs, puffers, moorish idols, angelfish and clownfish, with just one starfish. How many gallons do you think that would be? Would they all be fine together? I am only just learning about this i would appreciate it if you could help me a little.
This sounds a little like "finding nemo" :shifty:

anyways, I think you should bag the idea of keeping seahorses, they need a tank of there own, and moorish idols are one of the most dificult fish to keep alive so I wouldn't recomend one to a newbie. Ostrow's right, go out and buy a big long book with everything you need to know about saltwater fish. Most tangs require huge tanks because they like to dart around and need swimming room.

If you get puffers, you should be wary of getting invertebrates (like starfish) because puffers will try to eat any invertebrates. Also, are you going to get an anemone for your clowns? Are the angelfish going to be dwarf or full-sized? It would help if you could post the specific names.

i am going to be brutaly honest. if you want saltwater fish please do some reading! lots and lots of reading. you should get at least a 55gl to start and you will need a huge sum of money to do that. i spent 600.00 on my 55gl tank and that is before adding any fish! lighing alone will cost you around 30 a bulb. then you need a proten skimmer. and filter system. and then salt for your water, i pay 30.00 a bag for 25gl bag. and much much much more! think long and hard. and be sure you know exactly what to do and how to do it befor you get started. there are lots of pepole here to help.this is a great place to get all the info you need or you could try reefcentel.com it is great too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back