Tank water has gone pea green...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

beercan

Reaction score
Since the hot weather started, my tank has gone pea green. I've done a partial water change but it's still the same. It's a 120L tank with a Fluval 304 containing a load of treatments, so no probs with filtration...

How do I cure this? :*)

Dunno - but I'll be watching for replies with interest because mine's gone the same since the hot weather! Ugly, ain't it?

Sounds like an algae bloom. I have not had this problem myself but when I was at the LFS (this was not the pet store but an actual aquarium store - great fish and very knowledgable people) last weekend the guy there was telling a woman about a product he had just used in his pond a half hour earlier that made it go from dark green with algae to clear. Sorry, I don't know the name, I'm sure somebody will though.

I will also be watching for replies.

Mine has done the same too.

morane.[uk] :dunno:

Yup, I agree. Algea bloom. I had a small amount growing on the front of the tank but cleaned it off no trouble with a decent new sponge.
There is a product on the market that'll clear it up but I'm damned if I can remember what it's called. I'd suggest cleaning the insides of the glass in the tank and off the plants, if any, as a starting point. If you do that then you can hoover up most of the gunk with a tank vac. Then add the fresh de-chlorinated water.
Also make sure the tank doesn't get any direct sunlight. That makes matters worse. Perhaps a floating plant too if you can find one either at the lfs or online. It helps to stop the algea blooming.
Good luck.
Hugs,
P.

Ok thasnks guys.
The tank does get sunloght for abour 4 hours a day...

It will probably clear up on it's own after a while but you will have to be very patient. The sunlight is more than likely your problem. Also, water changes won't do any good. The water will be clearer for a short while but only because you just replaced green water with clear water. As a side note, the water is actually fine for your fish so don't worry about them.

If you don't want to wait, a UV Sterilizer will clear it in a very short time. I have used one on 2 different tanks and it worked great. Here is a thread I did a while back with day by day photos of my tank (this is the second one I used it on) and the green water. Here is where I got it. You will also need a power head to push water through it or you can run it inline with your Fluval 304.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back