Tank upgrade plans, help needed?

EndlersGame

Reaction score
Evening all,

I am planning a tank upgrade to a custom made 90l in a few months, and am trying to work out the logistics of this ahead of time.

I currently have 2 smaller tanks around 30l each, with a small selection of endlers, Cory's, danios, and platys.

My predicament is that the new tank will replace both smaller tanks in their current location.

So, how would I go about moving everyone from the current tanks into the new tanks?

And, should I use water and filters from both tanks in the new upgrade to help cycling?

Advice would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks

What kind of filters do you have in your current tanks? Plants? If you have cycled filters going already, you should be able to just transfer the used filter media to the new tank, and you're good to go.

Great username, by the way. ha ha

What kind of filters do you have in your current tanks? Plants? If you have cycled filters going already, you should be able to just transfer the used filter media to the new tank, and you're good to go.

Great username, by the way. ha ha
I currently have a variety of plants - Anubias B Nana, Hygrophila Siamensis, Limnophila Sessiflora (#takingover), Limnopbium Laevigatum, and Eleocharis Acicularis "mini", spread across both tanks. I will be adding more to the new tank.
The current filters will likely be too small for the new tank, but I might be able to pop the filter pads and media cartridges into the new filter - keeping all that good bacteria going. 🤔

I was thinking I could transfer some of the water from both tanks into the new tank and top up with 50% RO and 50% tap water (adding some Aqua-ssential or Stress coat).

In terms of moving the fish, would I be best off moving all fish to one tank, draining out the old tanks enough to move them, whilst setting up the new tank, and then moving all fish into the new tank gradually over a day or so?
I really want to try and do this with as little stress to the fish (and myself) as possible, hence the pre-planning.

Ha ha, I am stressed already and haven't even ordered the custom tank yet 🫣

Thanks

Evening all,

I am planning a tank upgrade to a custom made 90l in a few months, and am trying to work out the logistics of this ahead of time.

I currently have 2 smaller tanks around 30l each, with a small selection of endlers, Cory's, danios, and platys.

My predicament is that the new tank will replace both smaller tanks in their current location.

So, how would I go about moving everyone from the current tanks into the new tanks?

And, should I use water and filters from both tanks in the new upgrade to help cycling?

Advice would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks
It is always tricky to move a tank into the spot where you already have one and probably no right or wrong answer. The lower stress way is to move the fish as little as possible. Do you have a big bucket that would serve all the fish or a new or very clean plastic storage box?

You could drain the tank down into one of those and add the fish, possibly a heater and depending on the type of filter get that set up temporarily too. Then you just have the logistics of getting the tank into place, scaping it, setting up all the equipment and getting the fish back in.

I would be tempted to save as much of the tank water as possible and then top up through your usual methods - though that said I have drained and moved and/or rescaped tanks filling up totally new. Though I use just tap water and do enough water changes that it does not differ from the tap enough to be an issue.

Wills

It is always tricky to move a tank into the spot where you already have one and probably no right or wrong answer. The lower stress way is to move the fish as little as possible. Do you have a big bucket that would serve all the fish or a new or very clean plastic storage box?
This was my other thought/option. I have a BIG bucket and can transfer everyone, then it is just keeping the dogs out of the bucket whilst I scape and build the new tank 🫣. The water I add is typically only a degree or two off of my target temperature, so it should not be a problem getting it up to temp.
I plan on using as much from the current setup as I can to try and avoid a crash, though am anticipating it will be easier to maintain a larger tank than the 30l, with water changes and regular monitoring.
Thanks for the reassurance and tips 👍

This was my other thought/option. I have a BIG bucket and can transfer everyone, then it is just keeping the dogs out of the bucket whilst I scape and build the new tank 🫣. The water I add is typically only a degree or two off of my target temperature, so it should not be a problem getting it up to temp.
I plan on using as much from the current setup as I can to try and avoid a crash, though am anticipating it will be easier to maintain a larger tank than the 30l, with water changes and regular monitoring.
Thanks for the reassurance and tips 👍

In theory yes but my 30 litre is my most stable tank!

Its inevitably stressful stripping down and transporting a tank but just make sure you take the time to enjoy it too! Its the most creative part of the process but well worth the time!

Wills

I don't know how much space you have to do the move...

I would lower the current tanks water as much as I can then move them aside with cabinet etc... Close to the new setup, then fill them back up and keep them running as usual.

Then you have all the time you need to setup your new tank, scape it and do it's initial startup, let it balance a bit... Once running and ready, lower the level of the new tank, then lower the level of the old tanks filling up the new one with it and move and install your remaining decor and plants, then move the fishes directly to the new tank.

Copiously seed the new tank right away with filter media and substrate if you can... When I do these kind of move, I never reuse all the current substrate and start clean, anyway when I start stirring things it's always ridden with mulm.

If you replace the substrate by something different and don't want to mix them, use a large mesh bag to put a good portion of your old substrate in your new tank for a while.

Moving your fishes from / to a tank with similar water chemistry (same source) should not be very hard on them. The faster it goes with the least fluctuation possible. The better.

Also moving them directly is a lot less stressing for them. Some species like tetras and gouramies get really stressed in a bucket, they feel like their environment is shrinking on them to the point of jumping out.

I'm doing the same steps next week for my betta and I will use the occasion to replace the substrate for something more betta friendly. Big is already used to be moved around, I use a mason jar and he enters it on his own, I don't have to net him each time. I'm going to set both tanks side by side for a while, so he can see his new house construction.

Most reactions

trending

Back