Tank sizes?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What is the minimum tank size for a betta?

• 2.5g

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 5g

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Less than 2.5g is fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5g is fine

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Tank size does not matter

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

ElenaSp

Reaction score
Hello! I recently had a conversation about a betta's ideal tank size and sb asked me about adding tank mates to their 2.5g betta tank. I expressed my opinion that in 2.5g it is better not to add tank mates scince it is barely enough for 1 betta but I would like your opinions in the matter as well. I know tank sizes matter for most fish, but I have also been told that tank size does not matter for a betta.

Thank u for the responces. I think about 4-5g is the minimum. If it has enough plants, maaybe 3.5. But still in anything smaller than 5g I believe there should be no other animals than the betta.
10g is the best imo because there is enough space for the betta and u can also add a couple of compatible tank mates.

I agree with everyone here. 5 gallons at the minimum but 10g+ is way better. Me personally, I wouldnt want to keep a betta in no less than a 10g.

That's because they see them sitting in those little glass bowls in the box stores. So then people think it's ok to keep them in a mason jar.
No, we were talking about a filtered 2.5g tank, not jar or bowl. But IMO, 2.5 is quite small as a size in general. Still 100% better than an unfiltered jar, but not the best option. It can easily house some cherry shrimp alone maybe.

No, we were talking about a filtered 2.5g tank, not jar or bowl. But IMO, 2.5 is quite small as a size in general. Still 100% better than an unfiltered jar, but not the best option. It can easily house some cherry shrimp alone maybe.
I wasn't referring to you. I was just speaking in general. That you're here asking shows that you know better.

Even in a 10 gallon tank it is difficult to choose tank mates. Most fish which will work in 10 gallons are very small and likely to be viewed as food by a betta. He may not be able to catch them, but the stress of living with a predator won't do the tank mates much good.

Even in a 10 gallon tank it is difficult to choose tank mates. Most fish which will work in 10 gallons are very small and likely to be viewed as food by a betta. He may not be able to catch them, but the stress of living with a predator won't do the tank mates much good.
This is what I've found. I've had bettas do well with amano shrimp, snails, and other relatively sedentary critters, but I've come to think that it's a mistake to keep them with microrasboras or similar. Splendens need their privacy.

This is what I've found. I've had bettas do well with amano shrimp, snails, and other relatively sedentary critters, but I've come to think that it's a mistake to keep them with microrasboras or similar. Splendens need their privacy.
Even then, doesn't it come down to the personality of the individual betta?

Even then, doesn't it come down to the personality of the individual betta?

Yes, but the problem with this is that you don't know until it happens. And most of the members who ask about keeping their betta with other fish are less experienced, they usually say this. I have kept fish for 30 years, and I had multiple tanks in a dedicated fish room. I always had tank space if needed; it rarely was, since I would never experiment against nature. I learned some 30 years ago that a betta can easily eat a neon tetra. I would never be so foolish as to even attempt to put any fish in with a male betta, but if such a situation were to occur and didn't work, I at least had tank space available for the poor fish. I very much doubt that new aquarists have this luxury. Which is why I believe it is better for the fish to assume it/they will be normal for the species--a betta is not a community fish and should be housed alone. It is a risk to assume that somehow the betta you have is abnormal and will behave contrary to its genetic programming, and the experiment will work just because you want it. This is a cruel and inhumane approach to keeping fish, both for the betta and the tankmates.

Yes, but the problem with this is that you don't know until it happens. And most of the members who ask about keeping their betta with other fish are less experienced, they usually say this. I have kept fish for 30 years, and I had multiple tanks in a dedicated fish room. I always had tank space if needed; it rarely was, since I would never experiment against nature. I learned some 30 years ago that a betta can easily eat a neon tetra. I would never be so foolish as to even attempt to put any fish in with a male betta, but if such a situation were to occur and didn't work, I at least had tank space available for the poor fish. I very much doubt that new aquarists have this luxury. Which is why I believe it is better for the fish to assume it/they will be normal for the species--a betta is not a community fish and should be housed alone. It is a risk to assume that somehow the betta you have is abnormal and will behave contrary to its genetic programming, and the experiment will work just because you want it. This is a cruel and inhumane approach to keeping fish, both for the betta and the tankmates.
That's my point. Just because one person says on the internet that they kept a betta with a school of tetras doesn't mean that everyone or even most people can successfully do that. Personally I'd rather err on the side of caution and keep bettas to themselves.

I think that 10g's are best.
I agree, 10 gallon or bigger is best for common Bettas.

I have had many Bettas in community tanks without any issues with Betta vs terra/rasbora/Gertrude/threadfin/honey gourami or vice versa. I even had a pair in my 75 gallon and they were together all the time, it was a king Betta and splendens female.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back