Tank Size

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello don't know if this is in the right area but I am suppose to have a 110 litre tank but I think it's a 130 litre.

The size is 80cm long x 36cm deep and 45 cm high these are the dimensions given on the side of the tank and when I put these into the calculator on this website it came up as 130 litres. I then used another volume calculator and it had the same results. The tank is a aquatropic 80 I don't know if anyone else has one or if anyone can tell me why it says it's a 110litre but the numbers make it a 130litre from Tom

Its a 130 ltr, theres a tank calculator at the top right of page.

Yes that is the calculator that I was using but why would they sell it as a 110 litre fish tank if it really was a 130 litre that's what confuses me from Tom

Don't forget though those measurements calculate as if the tank was filled to the very brim.
By the time you've put in substrate, wood, decorations etc you will have less volume of water

Allowing for the air space above the water is a lot better than manufacturers who give the volume of air inside an empty tank rather than the amount of water it'll hold. The manufacturer of my betta's tank quoted the volume to include the decorative trim outside the tank, and the air space between the corners on the outside as part of the volume!

Ok so how many litres do people think it would be roughly because I'm surely not going to lose 20 litres of water for air and decoration. I thought I would lose 10 litres max which would make the tank 120 litres does that sound about right or should I take more off of the 130 litres thanks from Tom

It's an unfortunate fact that you will loose a good 15% of your tanks water volume to substrate, plants, decorations and filtration hardware and a heater,
and a common mistake to dose meds etc. based on an empty tanks volume, so your 130 litre aquarium will only have about 110 litres of water in it.

Ah ok so the company took that into consideration and sell it as a 110 litre tank which is good but I don't see why they would do this surely they would sell it as a bigger tank as more people would properly be interested in it from Tom

Well I suppose so Fluval have advertised the Roma 200 as a 200l tank, there are 166 litres of water in my tank including the volume of water held within the filter. (When I 1st filled the tank I used a 25 l brewers buckets with 1 litre divisions marked on the side that's how I'm so sure of the capacity)

Ah maybe I should do that and see how much water I get in my tank from Tom

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back