Tank size

55 is the bare minimum but everyone says 75-100 is best. With a 100 you can keep two or one and a big pleco or something.

Get the biggest tank you can afford and get plenty of filtration.
As Auratus said, 55 is the bare minimum but a 75 and up is much better. Remember that these fish are fast growers for the first year and eventually get up to about 12 or more, big fish and really really messy!

its just a baby now so will it be okay for a while in a 20 gallon and then when it begins to grow i'll transfer it to a 60? its only 2 inches long right now, and do u know what i should feed it?

Hi, Oscars are very cute when small. They don't do that well all alone. If getting two you would need a 75gal min but 100gal would be very nice to house two of them comfortable.

Another thing, they grow very , very fast. Believe me, messy eaters and they do prefer live foods as they get bigger. There are severl types of pelleted foods for oscars on the market, but bear in mind they can be quite fussy eaters.

Filteration is of most importance, if this is not good you will be doing lots of water changes a couple of times a week.

Also they are known to break heaters, oh ya that they are good at. Some say it is the light on the heater at night they see. There is a plastic protector to put over the heater to prevent this and i strongly suggest that you put one on your heater.

Your "little" oscar will be fine for maybe 2 months if that then it has to be moved. I would get your 60 gal or what ever size you are wanting to use up and cycling now so you oscar is not going into a tank that is cycling.

Good Luck
Lynn :) :D

Thanks, u all really helped. I'm going to pick up my new little oscar tomorrow at 1:00. :D Thank you again, your suggestions truly helped.

I, personally would have at least a 75 gallon with very good filtration. Oscars are very messy fish in general. As for feeding, in my experience, if you start them off with oscar or cichlids pellets, which come in different sizes for the smaller as opposed to larger fish, they will have a better diet than feeding feeders to them. You can also feed treats of bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc. I have never used things like beefheart and other animal byproducts as they can be very messy in the tank. Its been my experience that they will eat when they mature, the same as they have eaten in their younger lifetime. If you introduce feeders as food, then yes, they are going to get accustomed to them and want nothing to do with the other food. Feeders can introduce illness into a tank, how healthy can they really be living with 200 others in a 20 gallon (if that) tank. Surely they can't all get ample food to stay healthy and the water conditions can't be good. Personally I would refrain from ever introducing feeders as oscars like us, need a balanced diet to maintain optimum health.

Allie

Oscars do just fine alone, but like most cichlids they are socialable and do great in pairs or groups. However unless you can get a 100+ gallon tank, forget it.

Variety is the key to feeding. The staple should be a good quality pellet. Supplements can be blood worms and feeder fish. I raise my own feeder fish beause diseases can run rampant in lfs feeder tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back