Tank setup for corys?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gra72

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to make one of my tanks more suitable for keeping corys in - I just think they are soo cute. :wub: At the moment it has an algae problem and the plants aren't thriving either :( so I'm thinking of stripping it out and starting again.

I'm thinking of changing the (quite large) gravel to either fine gravel or sand. Any thoughts on which would be best? :unsure:

At the moment the internal filter - a Fluval 1 - works OK but doesn't collect any muck from off the gravel. I read a book which suggested the use of both undergravel and power filters, to keep the gravel nice and fresh I suppose. If I had sand would this cause a problem for an undergravel filter? I suppose I could use a layer of gravel under the sand with a mesh inbetween? And then there's the question of normal flow or reverse flow throught the u/g filter! :unsure:

Also, what sort of plants would normally exist in the cory habitat? It would be cool to make it into a proper biotope for them. B)

I know it's a lot to ask all at once but can anyone help with suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Gra

I would switch to finer gravel or sand - or use both! Large gravel is ok, but over time it can damage their barbels. Plus they are more active with a finer substrate. Just remember that sand raises your pH.

It's ok if your filter doesn't suck stuff off the gravel. That's what the cories are for!
To be honest, I would suggest NOT using an under ground filter. IMHO they are nothing but trouble. They are the most difficult and most expensive of filters, and since they are UG, they pull everything in the water down to where the cories will be - very unhealthy. Junk that should be getting filtered usually gets trapped in gravel and eventually creates a black gunk that produces nitrite. That is extremely deadly to fish at any level in the tank, but your cories are constantly down there where the toxin is being produced with their little barbeled faces in it.

I suggest a hanging power filter. They are easy to clean, safe (as long as the tube is properly covered), cheap, and don't clutter your tank.

As for plants, I don't know anything about them. I'm sure someone else can help ya there :D

CatLover said:
It's ok if your filter doesn't suck stuff off the gravel. That's what the cories are for!
Just to make things clear, cories don't eat for example fish waste or rotting plant parts. They just clean up whatever excess food falls to the bottom.

I was wondering if an external canister filter with its return fed back via an undergravel plate would keep the substrate nice and fresh for the corys. This way the u/g would not get clogged up.

Any thoughts please?

Gra

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back