Tank seeding using sponge filters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello. I am cycling a new tank, a divided 10 gallon for two Betta fish. I have got a corner sponge filter running in each compartment but Iā€™m replacing them as they are loud and float with the cylinder shaped ones. I already have a double headed sponge filter in my other tank (itā€™s been running for 4 months) would taking the sponges out of the older tank and putting in new ones cause it to stop being cycled? I also run a power filter in the older tank. I have already squeezed the matured sponges into the new tank to encourage the bacteria, Will this speed up the process or does it have to be the sponges itself transferred for it to work?

Hello. I am cycling a new tank, a divided 10 gallon for two Betta fish. I have got a corner sponge filter running in each compartment but Iā€™m replacing them as they are loud and float with the cylinder shaped ones. I already have a double headed sponge filter in my other tank (itā€™s been running for 4 months) would taking the sponges out of the older tank and putting in new ones cause it to stop being cycled? I also run a power filter in the older tank. I have already squeezed the matured sponges into the new tank to encourage the bacteria, Will this speed up the process or does it have to be the sponges itself transferred for it to work?
It would be better to use the old sponge as it will immediately be cycled, as it contains lots of beneficial bacteria. However, squeezing out the sponge into the other one could speed up the cycling process but it would not be an instant cycle, make sure you have a testing kit.

I would think that squeezing a dirty sponge filter in a new tank would do nothing good.

Moving the whole sponge filter over will instantly cycle a tank granted it is large enough for the tank and bio load.

If you still need the sponge in the old tank then cut it in half where they both have some. You can also place some of the old substrate in an old panty hose and set that in the bottom of the new tank.

Thanks for the replies. I will test the water later to see how itā€™s getting on, then I will use a sponge from the older tank to get it running. Iā€™m happy to wait as long as necessary for the tank to cycle properly but Iā€™m also pretty excited to choose my Betta and get them settled in.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back