Tank safe wood?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Will do, but let me get out today and take some pictures of all this drift wood I have collected. I will pm the pictures to you so you can see what you want. Then we can figure out shipping etc. First time for me to do something like this so it will be a learning curve.
Thank you so much! Sounds great :)

Just a heads up: You can't post pictures in a PM. You two may have to email or text each other.

Also, boiling driftwood can cause the driftwood to "live" a shorter life. It will break down the wood fiber.

Just a heads up: You can't post pictures in a PM. You two may have to email or text each other.

Also, boiling driftwood can cause the driftwood to "live" a shorter life. It will break down the wood fiber.
Oh thank you! I’ll pm him my email! And I had no clue

Thanks for the heads up on pm pictures. But as for as boiling driftwood in my case life of the wood is not as important as how safe I can make it for my aquarium. I guess that is the trade off though.

Thanks for the heads up on pm pictures. But as for as boiling driftwood in my case life of the wood is not as important as how safe I can make it for my aquarium. I guess that is the trade off though.
It's a personal preference. Nothing wrong with your opinion. :)

I would like to share with everyone my knowledge about wild driftwood. Here is a picture of the shoreline of the lake where I find my driftwood.

driftwood on beach of lake.jpg
I examine a piece that I like by tapping it on another much larger piece to see how strong it is and how soft the outside is. I don't wood that splinters or fractures easily. I examine the piece for rotten spots or holes that look like something was living it it. I have found pieces like that with holes bored in them, not sure if anything was still living there, but I really doubt it. More than likely the holes where bored when that piece of wood was alive. Using a piece with a lot of bore holes might compromise the wood's strength, but that is a judgement call.

The thing about this wood that I like is that it releases little or no tannins and it re-hydrates very fast so it will not float. I setup a large galvanized tub outside full of water, setting on a propane burner. I have weights that I use to weigh down the wood, then boil it for about an hour or better. Leave it over night and the next day it is re-hydrated ready for my aquarium.

I hope this helps..... :D

I would like to share with everyone my knowledge about wild driftwood. Here is a picture of the shoreline of the lake where I find my driftwood.

View attachment 120907
I examine a piece that I like by tapping it on another much larger piece to see how strong it is and how soft the outside is. I don't wood that splinters or fractures easily. I examine the piece for rotten spots or holes that look like something was living it it. I have found pieces like that with holes bored in them, not sure if anything was still living there, but I really doubt it. More than likely the holes where bored when that piece of wood was alive. Using a piece with a lot of bore holes might compromise the wood's strength, but that is a judgement call.

The thing about this wood that I like is that it releases little or no tannins and it re-hydrates very fast so it will not float. I setup a large galvanized tub outside full of water, setting on a propane burner. I have weights that I use to weigh down the wood, then boil it for about an hour or better. Leave it over night and the next day it is re-hydrated ready for my aquarium.

I hope this helps..... :D
Awwwhhhh mmmaaaaaannnnnn that looks a great find. Wish there was similar near me. The US being so big and empty in comparison with over here there must be thousands of easily accessible lakes providing similar driftwood opportunities.

I figured :) and yes for whatever reason it is I’m attempting to recreate this in my own way and I can’t seem to find any wood like it although the person said they got it on a hike so I’m perhaps thinking cholla wood and I can attach some moss to the little holes in some places View attachment 120781
Now THAT I like. THAT I’m gonna have a go at myself someday.

How are they kept upright? I’m guessing glued to a sheet of glass or food grade plastic thats just slightly smaller than the internal footprint of tank. Then placed in tank prior to sand.
I love it. THATS the sort of thing that could convince Mrs Lurch that a 6’ tanks a possibility. L-R it’d be prairie-forest-mountains-desert. “The Wild West”. Name the fish Clint, Jessie, Billy The Kid, Doc, Ringo, Uncle Buck, Blue Boy etc. Tank safe some kids wagon train stuff for the prairie bit and some skeletons for the desert end. Have a spaghetti western, magnificent seven, high chaperal playlist on.
Awwwhhh mmaaaaannnnnnnnnnnn......Ill never get round to it will I?

Awwwhhhh mmmaaaaaannnnnn that looks a great find. Wish there was similar near me. The US being so big and empty in comparison with over here there must be thousands of easily accessible lakes providing similar driftwood opportunities.
It is an amazing amount of driftwood so much so I can walk the beach looking at it for hours. This is a man made lake built behind a damn fed by the Trinity River. The area before the lake, was a forest full of trees, but there where also some homes in that area that or now under water.

Lake Livingston is the 2nd largest lake located within the borders of Texas. It is 39 miles long and at its widest point it is 7 miles. With 450 miles of shoreline, Lake Livingston covers 93,000 acres. The dam construction began in 1966 and was completed in 1969.

It is an amazing amount of driftwood so much so I can walk the beach looking at it for hours. This is a man made lake built behind a damn fed by the Trinity River. The area before the lake, was a forest full of trees, but there where also some homes in that area that or now under water.

Lake Livingston is the 2nd largest lake located within the borders of Texas. It is 39 miles long and at its widest point it is 7 miles. With 450 miles of shoreline, Lake Livingston covers 93,000 acres. The dam construction began in 1966 and was completed in 1969.
They did that up in the NE of England late 60s early 70s. A few little villages sacrificed for a reservoir. Kielder it’s called. During dry summers the church steeple can/could sometimes be seen peeping above the water line. Caused a lot of arguments at the time. @essjay will remember it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back