Tank safe wood?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RenC

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My grandma had some driftwood but doesn’t know the exact type of wood. Would this be safe for my tank if I boiled it? I attached a picture in case anyone can identify it
7C152238-36F3-4AED-B4C5-8621F29D9F69.jpeg

Can you dig your fingernails into it? If so, it may be a softwood. You want to use hardwood only.

I think it’s called craft driftwood but it’s not treated with anything if that helps

I’m really not sure. Give it a day to get some other opinions. If it’s soft, it will rot easier than a hardwood..which wouldnt be good.

Last edited:
I’m really not sure. Give it a day to get some other opinions. If it’s soft, it will rot easier than a hardwood..which wouldnt be good.
Okay thank you! Hopefully someone will know :)

Then it might be soaked in salt.....and with no bark it's difficult to identify where it came from.
A quick eBay search shows craft driftwood with what beach it was collected from. And living on the coast there is a lot washed up on the beaches here.
If it was me I would pass.

I agree that it needs to be hard wood. I live near a large lake with lots of drift wood on its shore line. I have collected my drift wood, which is in my aquarium now, from this lake's shore line. When I find a piece I like I test how hard it is by tapping on a hard surface and if it splinters or brakes I throw it away. If it holds up to being hit I then scratch with something hard like a spoon, I don't use something sharp like a knife. Sometimes the outer surface is soft but underneath it is good hard wood, so I clean it up, boil it and use it. My BN plecos love this wood.

I would say no... “craft wood” is usually cheap (softwood). My grandma is a big craft person and the driftwood she always gets is softwood.

I would personally not put those in the tank. Have you looked online? You can find some good (hardwood) driftwood on eBay for a bulk price.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back