Tank safe wood?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Then it might be soaked in salt.....and with no bark it's difficult to identify where it came from.
A quick eBay search shows craft driftwood with what beach it was collected from. And living on the coast there is a lot washed up on the beaches here.
If it was me I would pass.
Thank you! Yes I felt like I should ask because I didnā€™t want to put anything bad in my tank

I agree that it needs to be hard wood. I live near a large lake with lots of drift wood on its shore line. I have collected my drift wood, which is in my aquarium now, from this lake's shore line. When I find a piece I like I test how hard it is by tapping on a hard surface and if it splinters or brakes I throw it away. If it holds up to being hit I then scratch with something hard like a spoon, I don't use something sharp like a knife. Sometimes the outer surface is soft but underneath it is good hard wood, so I clean it up, boil it and use it. My BN plecos love this wood.
That sounds great! I wish I lived near some water lol looks like Iā€™ll pass on this stuff

I would say no... ā€œcraft woodā€ is usually cheap (softwood). My grandma is a big craft person and the driftwood she always gets is softwood.

I would personally not put those in the tank. Have you looked online? You can find some good (hardwood) driftwood on eBay for a bulk price.
Iā€™ve been looking online but not eBay! Iā€™ll definitely look there though now thank you for the advice! And yeah I figured since I could scratch it with my nail

Iā€™ve been looking online but not eBay! Iā€™ll definitely look there though now thank you for the advice! And yeah I figured since I could scratch it with my nail
Now there is a difference between being able to scratch it, and being able to dig your nails into it. Which is it? It does matter. :)

When I push my nails into it it leaves a small dent
Then most likely softwood, sorry... :/

Yep, eBay is a pretty decent place to look. Your LFS may have some cheap driftwood.

Driftwood is typically expensive, sadly.

Then most likely softwood, sorry... :/

Yep, eBay is a pretty decent place to look. Your LFS may have some cheap driftwood.

Driftwood is typically expensive, sadly.
I figured :) and yes for whatever reason it is Iā€™m attempting to recreate this in my own way and I canā€™t seem to find any wood like it although the person said they got it on a hike so Iā€™m perhaps thinking cholla wood and I can attach some moss to the little holes in some places
2781FC73-3BD2-4894-A7CD-2CC3FB8D2580.jpeg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Be careful, the wood can make a huge impact on your tanks environment. I think it is soft, and would look for something else.

RenC I see you live in Arizona and I live in Texas. If you want I can send you drift wood, I want charge you for the wood but you have to pay all shipping cost and expenses on my end. I can also boil the wood and re-hydrate it for you so all you have to do is drop in your tank. But of course not knowing me you will have to take the risk if you don't boil it yourself. If I boil and re-hydrate the wood will be soaked with water making shipping cost more expensive, than shipping it to you dry. I would rather ship it dry, but that is up to you. Let me know and if you don't want to take the risk I understand.

RenC I see you live in Arizona and I live in Texas. If you want I can send you drift wood, I want charge you for the wood but you have to pay all shipping cost and expenses on my end. I can also boil the wood and re-hydrate it for you so all you have to do is drop in your tank. But of course not knowing me you will have to take the risk if you don't boil it yourself. If I boil and re-hydrate the wood will be soaked with water making shipping cost more expensive, than shipping it to you dry. I would rather ship it dry, but that is up to you. Let me know and if you don't want to take the risk I understand.
Oh thank you so much! Iā€™m definitely interested in this and I would probably take it dry! Please message me privately if you can!

Oh thank you so much! Iā€™m definitely interested in this and I would probably take it dry! Please message me privately if you can!
Will do, but let me get out today and take some pictures of all this drift wood I have collected. I will pm the pictures to you so you can see what you want. Then we can figure out shipping etc. First time for me to do something like this so it will be a learning curve.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back