Tank over stocked ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reconmasterxx

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for taking time out to read this, I currently have a 120 litre, 35 gallon tank, I currently have 12 blue tetras, 2 honey goriamis, 1 pygmy chain loach, I hope to get 6 cardinal tetras, 6 penguins tetras and 5

Hi welcome to the forum :) Blue Tetras are quite a large growing tetra so will be adding a decent amount of load on the biological capacity. Your pygmy chain loach would benefit from a group of friends - I would start here and add in at least an other 5 (is the 5 at the end of your post in reference to this?).

In terms of adding the Cardinals or Penguins I would have this as an either/or situation rather than both. I would air on the side of the Cardinals as Penguins can be nippy but go for a group of 8 rather than 6. You could also consider just making the groups of Blue Tetra and Chain Loaches bigger though as the bigger the group of each species the more impressive the over all tank looks.

Wills :)

It would help to know which "blue tetra" we are talking about. There is Boehlkea fredcochui and there is Knodus borki. Both are active swimmers, so this needs to be kept in mind when looking at other species to add.

And the chain loach definitely needs a group, five or six is minimum. This is critical because loaches are highly social fish and will readily establish an hierarchy as soon as there are several of them, so add the others together (at the same time), and as soon as you can. This fish can become severely stressed and that leads to other issues.

I would forget cardinals or penguins or anything else until the loaches are settled and then depending upon the "blue tetra" species.

Agreed on the chain loaches. When I kept them, the magic number seemed to be seven. Less than that, I never saw them. More than that, they were out and about all the time, displaying their pretty coloration and really fun personalities. They really were the class clowns of my tank.

It would help to know which "blue tetra" we are talking about. There is Boehlkea fredcochui and there is Knodus borki. Both are active swimmers, so this needs to be kept in mind when looking at other species to add.

And the chain loach definitely needs a group, five or six is minimum. This is critical because loaches are highly social fish and will readily establish an hierarchy as soon as there are several of them, so add the others together (at the same time), and as soon as you can. This fish can become severely stressed and that leads to other issues.

I would forget cardinals or penguins or anything else until the loaches are settled and then depending upon the "blue tetra" species.

Thanks for the reply, I have the boehlkea fredcochui I think, I've attached a picture of them. Okay I will get another 5 loaches as soon as possible! Will this fill my tank up ? Or could I get another school in ? Cheers

Attachments

• 20200713_174410.jpg
    20200713_174410.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 74
Hi welcome to the forum :) Blue Tetras are quite a large growing tetra so will be adding a decent amount of load on the biological capacity. Your pygmy chain loach would benefit from a group of friends - I would start here and add in at least an other 5 (is the 5 at the end of your post in reference to this?).

In terms of adding the Cardinals or Penguins I would have this as an either/or situation rather than both. I would air on the side of the Cardinals as Penguins can be nippy but go for a group of 8 rather than 6. You could also consider just making the groups of Blue Tetra and Chain Loaches bigger though as the bigger the group of each species the more impressive the over all tank looks.

Wills :)

Yes I plan on getting another 5 over time, only after buying him did I find out you need about 6 of them, I'm not sure how yk feed him as he chills at the bottom alot and the blue teras eat the food super quick, any ideas ?

I initially had 6 dwarf chain loach in my community tank. They were moderately active. Then one day they grew up and became sexually mature (around 18 months) and suddenly started nipping shredding my tetras fins relentlessly. I bought a new tank for them and added another 6. Their behaviour changed overnight and now they are out and about most of the time. They even made another 2 for me so I have 14 now.

Note that there is a warning in there. No guarantees and many people report no problems in a community tank - but be prepared for things to change.

Agree. There are two issues here. First, if you want the loaches as a fish in the tank, you must get another four or five minimum as soon as you can. The lone loach is being seriously impacted and this is not without consequences.

Second, the temperament issue. The Boehlkea fredcochui are already in the tank, and in a good sized group. With luck, as they are relatively active fish, this may work out OK with the loaches.

Agree. There are two issues here. First, if you want the loaches as a fish in the tank, you must get another four or five minimum as soon as you can. The lone loach is being seriously impacted and this is not without consequences.

Second, the temperament issue. The Boehlkea fredcochui are already in the tank, and in a good sized group. With luck, as they are relatively active fish, this may work out OK with the loaches.
I also have 2 honey goriamis will they be okay with them?

If the two gourami are both male, they will likely get a bit feisty, but to what degree it is difficult to predict. Gourami are sedate fish and should not be housed with active fish like the tetras or the loaches.

All of this underlines the risk of taking advice from store staff. Best not to, without first checking yourself before making the commitment. We've all had to learn this the hard way.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back