Tank mates for Julii catfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

RainGamma

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 5 julii catfish thatā€™s all. I lost my betta (well never found him and Iā€™m guessing he is dead). I want some tank mates for my julli catfish what should I do get more catfish or get something else for aid? I also do have some algae problems.

Here is a picture of my tank. Itā€™s 20 gallon long
image.jpg

Have you looked in that ornament for your betta? He may have got trapped in it.He will certainly be dead regardless.

That looks like a 3 foot tank?

There are lots of fish that would co-exist with your Julii (which are quite likely to be Corydora trilineatus but are often sold as julii) If you know your water parameters, post them on here and I'm sure you'll get loads of suggestions.

Have you looked in that ornament for your betta? He may have got trapped in it.He will certainly be dead regardless.

That looks like a 3 foot tank?

There are lots of fish that would co-exist with your Julii (which are quite likely to be Corydora trilineatus but are often sold as julii) If you know your water parameters, post them on here and I'm sure you'll get loads of suggestions.
I have looked

Assuming the water is softish (i.e. suitable for betta and corys) a good sized group of colourful tetras or rasboras would look nice in that tank. Ideally add some floating plants as they do not like too much light. All of your plants do well in low light so that may also help with the algae. Just check the temperature requirements because some tetras need warmer water than the corys can cope with in the long term.

Assuming the water is softish (i.e. suitable for betta and corys) a good sized group of colourful tetras or rasboras would look nice in that tank. Ideally add some floating plants as they do not like too much light. All of your plants do well in low light so that may also help with the algae. Just check the temperature requirements because some tetras need warmer water than the corys can cope with in the long term.
what are rasboras lol. Any suggestions for any floating plants? My ph is 7.0

This is the most common rasbora in shops - harlequin rasbora, Trigonostigma heteromorpha https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trigonostigma-heteromorpha/ There are two silimlar fish which aren't as common in shops - T. espei and T hengeli.

I have water sprite as a floating plant. The leaves float on the surface providing shade for the fish, and the long roots provide things for the fish to swim through.

The pH is one parameter, the other three are GH (general or total hardness), KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) and temperature. The temperature we can easily control with aquarium or room heaters, and the GH and KH will tend to remain at the level in the source (tap) water. So you could find these two numbers from your municipal water authority, check their website. Make sure you get the number and their unit of measurement as the latter varies.

Once we have the GH which is the most crucial (of GH, KH and pH) we will be good to go with suggestions. A pH of 7 might lead us to either side of soft or moderately hard, so we need to pin this down.

The pH is one parameter, the other three are GH (general or total hardness), KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) and temperature. The temperature we can easily control with aquarium or room heaters, and the GH and KH will tend to remain at the level in the source (tap) water. So you could find these two numbers from your municipal water authority, check their website. Make sure you get the number and their unit of measurement as the latter varies.

Once we have the GH which is the most crucial (of GH, KH and pH) we will be good to go with suggestions. A pH of 7 might lead us to either side of soft or moderately hard, so we need to pin this down.
Okay sending it rn..

KH: 120
GH: 180 (ph is 7)
@Byron @seangee @Munroco

The GH is on the border of moderately soft/moderately hard. Soft water species will manage better than will moderately hard water species such as all the livebearers. So you can consider most fish (with a few exceptions that have more specific requirements) from South America (tetras, catfish, hatchetfish, pencilfish) and SE Asia (rasboras, some of the gourami). Danios and barbs are also good in this range but here the tank space is really crowding such active fish so I would not include them. You mentioned a 20g long, so I assume the dimensions are 30 inches length by 12 inches width.

The GH is on the border of moderately soft/moderately hard. Soft water species will manage better than will moderately hard water species such as all the livebearers. So you can consider most fish (with a few exceptions that have more specific requirements) from South America (tetras, catfish, hatchetfish, pencilfish) and SE Asia (rasboras, some of the gourami). Danios and barbs are also good in this range but here the tank space is really crowding such active fish so I would not include them. You mentioned a 20g long, so I assume the dimensions are 30 inches length by 12 inches width.
Neon Tetras good?

Neon Tetras good?

Yes. And another plus, neon tetra prefer slightly cooler water, mid-70's F (24-25C) which also suits cories nicely. A group of 10 neons would be good. I would add a couple more cories too, say 7-8.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back