Tank mates for a Jack Dempsey

Jacks12003

Reaction score
I have a Jack Dempsey cichlid and a Florida pleco in a 29g tank. Both are about 3.5 to 4 inches long. The Jack Dempsey has been extremely aggressive to every other fish in the tank except for the pleco and a convict cichlid that was in his tank when I first got him (who has since died). He is about four years old and I do not want to part with him but I do want to get more fish. So far he has killed a rainbow cichlid after about 6 months together just fine, and an african cichlid. Once I was curious and placed a crawfish in the tank but he killed and ate the whole thing in under 30 minutes.

Do any of you have suggestions, or should I just let him be?

You could get a breeding couple, then they will have fry and you will be able to watch them produce more Jack Dempsey's! Incredible, right?o_O

In a 29 gallon he owns that tank and anything put in it hell most likely kill. Larger cichlids like jack dempseys need bigger tanks especially if one wants more than 1 cichlid in the tank.

In a 29 gallon he owns that tank and anything put in it hell most likely kill. Larger cichlids like jack dempseys need bigger tanks especially if one wants more than 1 cichlid in the tank.
Would you say his tank is too small at the moment? Should I get a larger one?

Would you say his tank is too small at the moment? Should I get a larger one?
Depends if you want more fish. For large SA cichlids like Jack Dempseys i wouldnt go smaller than a 55 gallon and even then the max would probably be around 4 or 5 cichlids.
Not only are jack dempsey super territorial but they also get big up to 8 inches and are a deep bodied fish that consumes a lot of oxygen and expels a lot of waste.
If you get a larger tank and want more cichlids make sure you get cichlids that are the same size as your dempsey. Green terror, severum, might be compatible. Another way to break up aggression and territories is by moving rocks/wood decor around forcing the cichlid to form new territories. Anytime adding another fish with an aggressive cichlid move things around so their arent any established territory.

Depends if you want more fish. For large SA cichlids like Jack Dempseys i wouldnt go smaller than a 55 gallon and even then the max would probably be around 4 or 5 cichlids.
Not only are jack dempsey super territorial but they also get big up to 8 inches and are a deep bodied fish that consumes a lot of oxygen and expels a lot of waste.
If you get a larger tank and want more cichlids make sure you get cichlids that are the same size as your dempsey. Green terror, severum, might be compatible. Another way to break up aggression and territories is by moving rocks/wood decor around forcing the cichlid to form new territories. Anytime adding another fish with an aggressive cichlid move things around so their arent any established territory.
Thanks for the help, I'm new to the site because I needed some help on the subject.

I agree, 55 is the minimum, but even then tankmates are hard to come by. Many good tankmates just are too large for a 55 gallon tank. Big South American cichlids like oscars and severum just don't have the jaw strength to deal with a mean jack dempsey.

In your current tank there is no tankmate that will work. He will kill or be killed.

Jack dempseys only get more aggressive as they mature. Once they hit around 8 inches, they turn into serial killers.

Jack dempseys are from central america and should be kept with similar sized fish of equal aggression in a large tank.

You can do a pair in a 55 or maybe you get lucky with a medium sized central american like a salvini, but most likely you'll need a much larger tank if you'd like to keep tankmates.

Also just to add, last time I kept a Jack Dempsey he was pushing the foot long mark in 4 years..... so your fish is likely seriously stunted.

Long story short, don't bother adding new fish until you get a larger tank. 55 gallon being absolute minimum.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back