Tank left outside question?

didz04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, If they have been left outside for over a year, do they have to be re-siliconed?

Thanks

OliveFish05

Fish Addict
Reaction score
It really depends on the quality of the silicone at this point. You can feel the silicone and if it is hard, stiff, or crumbly, or missing in any spot, it would need to be resealed. If you are looking at a tank online or aren’t able to feel the silicone yourself, I would recommend buying it assuming it will need to be resealed

PheonixKingZ

Fish Expert
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Depends. Feel the silicone - if it’s squishy then it’s still good, of it’s hard and crusty, it’s not.

If you don’t plan on re-siliconing it, I would definitely todo do a leak test outside, before bringing it into your house.

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
It should be fine. I have had tanks that spent years outside and so have other people. The silicon tolerates sunlight reasonably well. It doesn't like bleach tho

OP
didz04

didz04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
One of the tanks has a chip in corner eventually looks like the glass has cracked around chip. I checked the silicon and its still quite soft. The other one is fluval tank and they usually have a lot of silicon on and its rounded but that one feels quite soft still. They've been through a lot like hot and snowy conditions.

PheonixKingZ

Fish Expert
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn’t use the one with the chip... maybe upload some photos of the other ones so we can take a look?

OP
didz04

didz04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
O
I definitely wouldn’t use the one with the chip... maybe upload some photos of the other ones so we can take a look?
Oh yeah the one with chip i know is long gone lol. I'll see if i can get pics of the fluval. I'll be giving fluval away but it'll be good to check for next person.

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days