Tank Journal - Hillstream Temperate River

All of the second batch of fry have now hatched. The incubation period was a little longer than last time, but we had a 100% hatch rate this time. Up to now, the fry seem to be doing fine.

Fingers crossed for them, i really hope to see some healthy babies!

Will be watching with interest. Keep us updated

I will try and update you, but I am going away this week for six weeks lol so will be hard.

Tell me about it. I am helping family sail a 45ft yacht back from the Caribbean. I am really going to miss my fish.

Fingers crossed batch #2 make it ok while you are away on a great sounding holiday, enjoy!

Well everyone I am back. The fish seem to have done well. The second batch of fry which hatched in the smaller tank all passed away at some point. The other half was looking after them so not sure if they died of natural causes or not enough maintenance. Anyway, a further batch hatched in the main tank and there are at least 15 still swimming around. Some of them are nearly a cm long and seem to be going strong. These have outlived any eggs which I removed before I went away. A second batch of at least 60 is about to hatch any time soon. Again I will let this hatch in the main tank. I think that I will remove any when they get to a few cm long so that they do upset the balance. All looking good upto now though.

Oh and before I went away I got two A.Normani and they are thriving. They have plumped up nicely and are very confident. I also added three bamboo shrimp who also seem to be doing well. They hang around the filter inlet and in the flow fanning out debris.

The tank has matured nicely and I will get some pics and video up at weekend.

Well I can not believe that this tank has been set up for nearly 8 months! I have not done an update for a while as I have been quite busy, but here is one with plenty of pictures. The tank itself is running along nicely. I had to move it into another room as we were having a switch around in the house. I left all of the contents in with two inches of water for the fish and carefully carried it on the piece of wood it sits on. This went well.

I have added a piece of redmoor which I had in another tank to the left of this tank. This was covered in Peacock Moss which is a lovely lush green colour and really brightens the tank up. I left the Java Fern in, but removed the Anubis, as this was getting a lot of algae build up with the time that the lights are on for per day (16 hours).

There is a nice build up of algae on the rocks, although the fish keep it nice and trim so I do not think that it will ever build up to a full covering which is a shame. I may upgrade the lighting one day.

The R.Rubromaculatus have now bred numerous times and seem to be doing it regurally on a bi-weekly basis. They breed, the male guards the eggs for around 10 days, they hatch, he comes out and within a few days he is back in guarding another batch. There are numerous free swimming fry and small fish ranging from 2mm to over 1 inch. There are too many hidy holes to count them all, but there are tens of small ones, probably at least 20 over half an inch and a few over 1 inch. Even the largest ones are almost see through, so I guess that their colours come with age.

I will need to start shifting them soon and am in discussions with my LFS to see if they want to buy the offspring from me. They do not normally buy fry, but said that they may as they are rare. We will see. If not, then I will put them in the classifieds section on here to see if anyone is interested.

My P.Mysersi have also bred at least once. I do not know which the breeding pair are and I have not seen any go off behind the bike sheds for a while, but there are a number young fish of over an inch in length in the tank. They are quite shy though and like hiding so no pics of them yet.

The A.Normani I bought back in April are also doing great and have grown both in length and bulk. I am very tempted to buy two more soon as I really want to get a small community of these. We will see how things pan out.

Anyway enough text, here are the pics:

Goby mummy:

DSC_0346.jpg

Goby fry:

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg

Young Goby eating bloodworm:

DSC_0338.jpg

A.Normani:

DSC_0355.jpg

Tank shots:

DSC_0356.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0353.jpg

Well the P.Myersi fry finally decided to come out to play and we managed to get some pics of them. Not the clearest pics but never mind (I did not take them):

DSC_0447-1.jpg

DSC_0448.jpg

DSC_0456.jpg

That's great that they are all doing so well. Really like the moss, it does brighten it up a lot.

Yeah it does doesn't it.

I am going to give it a trim at weekend and spread it over the other wood at the front right corner of the tank and the wood along the back.

Looks they have three a.Normani left in my lfs. They are from the same batch as mine and seem to be doing well. It is pay day this week so may go for another look on saturday. I would love to have a group of these as the two I got back in April are doing great and it would be nice to see how they interact with more of their own kind. They had an offer on two so may see if they will do an even better offer on three :lol:

Just a few more pictures which I captured at feeding time:

A.Normani:

DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0362.jpg

Bamboo Shrimp:

DSC_0365.jpg

Two generation of Goby fry:

DSC_0366.jpg

Most reactions

Back