Tank Journal - Hillstream Temperate River

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This morning I was up quite early for work and went to check on the fish as normal. With the first rays of sun pouring through the window, I could see freshly hatched goby fry swimming out of their cave. Dad was still in there, but he soon tried to heard them back in before mum could eat them. It was a lovely sight, and reminded me why I love fish keeping.

Well I was going to buy a couple more a.normani over the weekend, but I thought it better to set up a grow out tank for my fry and needed to buy a few bits for a spare tank instead. Mainly sand, wood and rocks. They seem to be growing quickly and to stop aggresion from forming amongst the numerous fry and the adults, I thought it prudent to seperate them once the fry reach about half an inch in length.

Given that they do not like brand new set ups though, and not wanting to rip apart my main tank to obtain biofilm covered rocks, I have set a small tank up next to the window in my bedroom. The ample amounts of light and ferts I have put in should kickstart the growth.

I have also put an advert in the classifieds section now for goby fry if anyone is interested.

The a.normani look nice, I would love some. Do you know if they are a male and a female, because at this rate every thing in your tank will be breeding! :lol:

The a.normani look nice, I would love some. Do you know if they are a male and a female, because at this rate every thing in your tank will be breeding! :lol:

They are a relatively rarely imported species and I can not find any way to sex them. There are also no records that I can find of them breeding. That is part of the reason why I want to get another two whilst the shop still has some in though. Given the rate things are going in the tank who knows :lol:

:good: If they are that rare and have no record of breeding id get the others. How much did you pay for them? you might end up making a fair bit on them if they breed and they are rare.

The a.Normani were £15 each or two for £25. I can let you know the shop if you like. They had around six left. I will get another two at some point soon.

Mind you the gobies were more than that, just as rare and I think that I might struggle to sell them. The problem is that most people dont have the kind of tanks to house these fish.

I am waiting for my LFS (the one I bought the adults from) to get back to me on buying Goby fry so we will see...

I would but dont have any where to put them. Love to have a tank like yours at some point.

Can you let me know what type this is?
Its kind of dark brown all over the body with little lighter spots all over it.
The pic is rubbish because of my crap phone but here it is:
http://s1079.photobucket.com/albums/w514/panda_cory/?action=view&current=DSC00315.jpg
(If anyone could tell me how to put the pic on the actual post that would be much appriciated)

From the picture, it looks like it could be a Beaufortia Kweichowensis.

The thing with many of the sucker bellied hillstream loaches is that they are wild caught and there are often many local colour variations, dependent on which river / part of river they are caught.

For exampe, I went in to my LFS last Saturday, and they had new batch of P.Myersi in (I disagree with their labelling though and think that they are infact B.Kweichowensis). Anyway, there were no two the same and many differing shades of colour and pattern.

That is one of the things that I find fascinating about keeping them. There is such variety out there.

Oh and if you are on photobucket, copy the image code and paste it straight into the posting.

DSC00315.jpg

I am still going for Beaufortia Kweichowensis. If you google it does it look like yours?

Saw a lovely Bourneo sucker not sure what type but might get it when I go the lfs if they still have it.

I would try and find out the species first as some hillstreams such as A.Normani and S.Lineolata require temperatures above 20 degrees (around 21-23), whereas others such as P.Myersi and P.Cheni are happy below 20 degree.

I have found loaches.com to be pretty accurate for loach profiles when I have needed it.

I think it is the same temp, mine is in a coldwater set up with fancy goldfish and the one in the shop was coldwater with fancy goldfish and White cloud minnows. :good:

Fair enough.

My LFS keep ALL fish at 26 degrees (including goldies). Never quite understood that bit :crazy:

Most reactions

Back