Tank is ready and cycled but now has worms. Advice please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, I have cycled my planted divided 10 gallon with mature sponges and fish food and levels are now good and stable ready for my shrimp and betta(that I have not yet purchased), the snails are settled and reproducing enthusiastically. The fish food method has created a possible problem of worms. I believe most are detritus worms squiggling through the water in small numbers, the others are possibly planaria or rhabdocoela sliding around the glass. I hope the later and I haven’t been able to see the telltale pointy head and eyes that would confirm it as planaria as yet. Would you recommend treating them before stocking the tank on the off chance that it is planaria? I had similar worms in my guppy tank but the guppies loved eating them and I haven’t seen one in months.

Do a 90% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Don't use chemicals to kill the worms.

Do a 90% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Don't use chemicals to kill the worms.
Thankyou for your reply. I have done the 90% water change. Will I need to repeat this until they stop appearing?

not normally. a decent gravel clean and huge water change normally gets rid of the gunk in the substrate and the worms go back in there after that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back