Tank Filter Passthrough 'Blockers'

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JPMcQueen

Reaction score
My tank (Eheim Incipria 530) has two 'in tank' filter outlets that pass through the base of the tank and into the cabinet. Long question short, is there anyway of 'blocking' these outlets closed? I dont know if a manufacturer makes a bung or cap that can be fitted and close them off. Or, does anyone have any ideas?

Having now gone through my third eheim 2080/1200xl filter head, I'm looking at replacing the filter with something more durable but the problem is I'm only aware of the 1200xl that fits this tank. It needs two inlets to the filter for tank water and the standard one water return to the tank. So, I'm thinking that I'll need to block one off if I wanted to do this. The only other option I can think of is to cut the tube under the cabinet and fit a valve to keep the shorter section that nolonger goes anywhere, closed.

The other problem that this tank design gives me is that if I want to do a clean/replacement of the filter tubing, its a full 'fish out and tank empty' process as there's no inline valves between the tank ports and the filter. Again, I can solve this by potentially doing a VERY short run in the cabinet and fitting valves but a cap would be a better option, or maybe run a piece of filter tube that goes WAY above the water line so that the ones underneath can be disconnected without water leaving the tank.

eheim.jpg

I would have though Ehiem would sell some kind of screw cap covers? Same fitting to hold the pipes in place but just blanked off?

Failing that you could remove all the fittings and silicone a square of glass over the top from inside the tank? Would make me nervous though haha!

I would have though Ehiem would sell some kind of screw cap covers? Same fitting to hold the pipes in place but just blanked off?

Failing that you could remove all the fittings and silicone a square of glass over the top from inside the tank? Would make me nervous though haha!
That's what I would do. If you follow the directions on the silicone, it should be as waterproof as your tank.

Unfortunately it wouldnt work without further modifications. The plastic pass throughs go above and below the tank glass i.e. there are no flat surfaces to attach the glass. You'd have to saw off the protrusion either in tank or below it. I've ordered some double tap valves for the tank outfeeds so that they can be quickly disconnected if I want to clean/replace the pipework or permanently left disconnected if I go to a new filter.

I've just ordered another filter head unit for the eheim but it'll be my last.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back