Tank dimensions rules

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishiefish125

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 48" long x 10" front to back x 15" high set up with community fish in. Thinking of going bigger. I want to give my fishes more swimming room. Can go to 150cm x 40cm front to back....but how tall? I fancy the 70cm tall from monster shop. But all other brands are long and low. Is this due to surface area compared to water volume ratio? Can I keep going upwards? Also what do people rate the hood filters, I've always had an external filter before. Thanks.

Filters built into lids and hoods are crap and should not be used. Stay with canister filters.

Don't get an aquarium that is more than 24 inches high because you can't get into them to clean them or remove things from them. Even tanks that are 24 inches high can be hard to work in depending on how tall you are.

The other problem with tall tanks is they need thicker glass and that adds to the weight and cost of the aquarium.
eg: aquarium is 5 foot long x 18-24 inches wide x 24 inches high is made from 10mm thick glass.
The same tank but 70cm (28 inches) high will be made of 12mm thick glass. This doesn't sound like much but will add an extra 30-40kg to the weight and add about 40% to the price.

Tall tanks are fine for people to view fish, but fish swim left and right and prefer long wide tanks over tall narrow tanks.

Longer is definitely the way to go.
My fish spend most of their time playing in the flow from the power head.

Long and shallow. Traditionally tanks have been built by this formula. 24x12x12. 36x18x18. etc. Never more than 24 deep. I love internal filters. Keep everything in the tank.

I concur with other members. Another thing to keep in mind is the weight of the tank in relation to the type of construction. This large a tank at either height will basically need to be on a concrete floor or it may well go through the floor; wood frame upper levels are not likely going to be sufficient to support it. I had a tank that was 150 by 45 by 60 cm and the weight of the water alone was around 1,070 pounds, not including the sand, wood/rock, stand (metal frame that I could just lift) and the tank itself which two men could barely manage to carry empty.

Ideally, an aquarium has to be more wide than tall : the larger the surface area in contact with air, the better the oxygenation.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back