Tank cleaning

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Floridapierce78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought I had cleaned my 36gal bowfront well but I was wrong. I have switched it over to a planted aquarium since I lost the Fancy's. I m using floral plant substrate with a little gravel on top. I planted the seeds about 2 weeks ago and I believe it's ready for water. However I would like to clean the glass again first. Someone told me to mix distilled vinegar with water and that would not hurt fish later on when I add them. But I have recieve really bad info in the past. ( don't believe every utuber) you guys seem like you know what your taking about and are not in it for the money. Help

Attachments

• 20220724_105745.jpg
    20220724_105745.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220724_105741.jpg
    20220724_105741.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220724_105735.jpg
    20220724_105735.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220724_105725.jpg
    20220724_105725.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 38
I thought I had cleaned my 36gal bowfront well but I was wrong. I have switched it over to a planted aquarium since I lost the Fancy's. I m using floral plant substrate with a little gravel on top. I planted the seeds about 2 weeks ago and I believe it's ready for water. However I would like to clean the glass again first. Someone told me to mix distilled vinegar with water and that would not hurt fish later on when I add them. But I have recieve really bad info in the past. ( don't believe every utuber) you guys seem like you know what your taking about and are not in it for the money. Help

It is ok but you need to thoroughly rinse the tank to get rid of any residue.

The other thing concerning me is you mentioned seeds, do you have a link to where you bought them from? A lot of these are a scam and are not fully aquatic plants, aquatic plants reproduce by sending out runners and propagation (bits of snapped stems growing new plants) if you think about them being underwater the way terrestrial plants dont work with pollinators and animals eating fruits. But some have started to become legitimate and are the seeds from the emerged version of the plant which can transition to submerged.

Wills

It is ok but you need to thoroughly rinse the tank to get rid of any residue.

The other thing concerning me is you mentioned seeds, do you have a link to where you bought them from? A lot of these are a scam and are not fully aquatic plants, aquatic plants reproduce by sending out runners and propagation (bits of snapped stems growing new plants) if you think about them being underwater the way terrestrial plants dont work with pollinators and animals eating fruits. But some have started to become legitimate and are the seeds from the emerged version of the plant which can transition to submerged.

Wills
most of the time you get scammed and the plants melt within a few days of water...
other times (you still get scammed) and you get hygrophila, which is a nice addition to the tank and grows like crazy.

Question. How do I rinse the tank when I already have soil and plants in it? Should I just fill and clean with a clean towel?

This gets to the problem I was about to mention. Do not use anything but water on the inside glass. It is OK if you can rinse the empty tank, but you have a substrate here with decor and plants, and it may get "infected" so to speak. Warm water with a sponge (only used on the aquarium), a scraper if that is needed, that's it.

This gets to the problem I was about to mention. Do not use anything but water on the inside glass. It is OK if you can rinse the empty tank, but you have a substrate here with decor and plants, and it may get "infected" so to speak. Warm

water with a sponge (only used on the aquarium), a scraper if that is needed, that's it.
Thank you! I will stop listening to just anyone.

So far so good but I'm not sure, with these they usually germinate so far and then fail because they are not suited to life underwater. The plants they show in the amazon picture are also common aquascaping plants like monte carlo but none of the names on the packs are familiar names. See how it goes like I say some people have been getting good results but there are a lot of scams out there - a bit like LFS that sell house plants as aquatic plants, often out of ignorance rather than malice but yeah same result.

So far so good but I'm not sure, with these they usually germinate so far and then fail because they are not suited to life underwater. The plants they show in the amazon picture are also common aquascaping plants like monte carlo but none of the names on the packs are familiar names. See how it goes like I say some people have been getting good results but there are a lot of scams out there - a bit like LFS that sell house plants as aquatic plants, often out of ignorance rather than malice but yeah same result.
Hi @Floridapierce78 , replying here since I found your thread while searching for other people's experiences with these seeds to link to you!
I have to agree with @Wills . I'm still trying to find the thing I saw where someone had a lush amount of grass in a large tank from seeds like that, but within a few months they died back horribly, completely ruining the tank and substrate, so I'm super wary about these, the lack of scientific names, and that most of these are scams, I'm sure. If it was that easy to propagate seeded aquarium plants, for that cheap, none of us would be spending £5 or more per plant portion! We'd all be recommending the seeds. But there's a reason we're not...

Hi @Floridapierce78 , replying here since I found your thread while searching for other people's experiences with these seeds to link to you!
I have to agree with @Wills . I'm still trying to find the thing I saw where someone had a lush amount of grass in a large tank from seeds like that, but within a few months they died back horribly, completely ruining the tank and substrate, so I'm super wary about these, the lack of scientific names, and that most of these are scams, I'm sure. If it was that easy to propagate seeded aquarium plants, for that cheap, none of us would be spending £5 or more per plant portion! We'd all be recommending the seeds. But there's a reason we're not...
Right. Being new. I thought the reason people didn't start from seeds that much was because it has to be an empty tank

Right. Being new. I thought the reason people didn't start from seeds that much was because it has to be an empty tank
To clean the inside glass, wait until the water level is lowered (during a WC)

Use these...be certain to get the original, not the ones for kitchen or bath, those contain detergents...the originals are perfectly fine to use in your tank, and do an excellent job of cleaning glass

Attachments

• magic eraser.jpg
    magic eraser.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 16

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back