tank as of now

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

imw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score

Been a little while since I posted a video, excuse the awful camera work.

Spot the new additions. :)

Water change tomorrow plus a substrate hoover.

Any one able to give common name for bluish/silver tetra's - LFS sold them a Dwarf Blue.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Plants are looking good :) I really like your big Crypt is it a Crispulata?

The bluish/silver tetras are actually Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish. Really nice fish but quite different requirements to your Neon Tetras and Cories. They are from quite hard water compared to the soft waters your other fish come from. Do you know which kind of water you have?

Wills

Plants are looking good :) I really like your big Crypt is it a Crispulata?

The bluish/silver tetras are actually Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish. Really nice fish but quite different requirements to your Neon Tetras and Cories. They are from quite hard water compared to the soft waters your other fish come from. Do you know which kind of water you have?

Wills

Soft water Wills, been with me a couple of months now - no obvious signs of stress - are you sure of ID please ?

And yes - Crispulata, grows slow growing but well worth the wait :)

Seems you are correct on ID Wills, sorry about doubting, the research implies ok with tetra's which as you say are soft water fish -

" above are just a few options. There are tons of fish that would be great with Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish. If nothing above has caught your attention, try looking into common fish such as platies, mollies, tetras, and rasboras. Pearl Guaramis grow to about the same size, and their pearlescent swirls would be a great contrast to the electric blue of the rainbowfish."

Confused.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Soft water Wills, been with me a couple of months now - no obvious signs of stress - are you sure of ID please ?

And yes - Crispulata, grows slow growing but well worth the wait :)

Seems you are correct on ID Wills, sorry about doubting, the research implies ok with tetra's which as you say are soft water fish -

" above are just a few options. There are tons of fish that would be great with Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish. If nothing above has caught your attention, try looking into common fish such as platies, mollies, tetras, and rasboras. Pearl Guaramis grow to about the same size, and their pearlescent swirls would be a great contrast to the electric blue of the rainbowfish."

Confused.com
They are compatible in terms of behaviour and aggression things like that but long term one fish will do better than the other and if you have soft water it will be the rainbows that won’t fare as well. They will likely be more susceptible to disease may have growth issues and not live as long as they would in harder water.

The advice above feels more anecdotal rather than backed by evidence like somewhere like seriously fish for example.

That said I’d rather them be in your tank as a dedicated aquarist keeping up with maintenance etc than you return them to the store.

Appreciated Wills. :)
No probs :)

Just had an other look at the video I can spot 2 definite males in the group so you will likely have some females in there - give them a few months and if you get chance to watch them about 20 mins after the lights come on in a morning the males will display to the females incredibly.

Have you thought about adding a black background to the tank? Neon coloured fish like these will really pop against it. You can either paint it or put a film on, just make sure you get a good one as some of the cheap ones will bubble.

Wills

No probs :)

Just had an other look at the video I can spot 2 definite males in the group so you will likely have some females in there - give them a few months and if you get chance to watch them about 20 mins after the lights come on in a morning the males will display to the females incredibly.

Have you thought about adding a black background to the tank? Neon coloured fish like these will really pop against it. You can either paint it or put a film on, just make sure you get a good one as some of the cheap ones will bubble.

Wills

When the lights ramp down, the group (13) seem to come together and swim along the tank together, lovely to watch. :)

I did tinker with the idea of a back ground when I set the tank up, but decided against it. Maybe next time (MTS is calling).

ATB

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back