The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Which tank layout do you like the best?

• Total voters

Rorie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have had three layouts.... i had issues with two of them, so ended up with a third, but i am unsure if i like it or not yet! So i was wondering what everybody's opinions are?! I will let you know why i changed it, and what it currently is after i have some pole results :)

Layout 1
Tank3rd-1.jpg

Layout 2
ram-7.jpg

Layout 3
Wood-1.jpg

Number 1; I like the twisty wood :)

I prefer number 2, but none are spot in IMO...seems to be missing something. Tried a black background?
Love the gentleman sausage rock/ornament though. Is that intentional?

I prefer number 2, but none are spot in IMO...seems to be missing something. Tried a black background?
Love the gentleman sausage rock/ornament though. Is that intentional?

Black background? Any photos of some aquariums with a black background?

Well, your the second person thats mentioned the shape of it! Its a huge bit of granite which i got with the aquarium, thought it jutting out of the ground looked cool.....but hey, either the fish have not noticed what they are swimming around, or they like it :p

I would have more of that Sumatra Wood all along the tank and not have those other 2 lumps of wood you have on the left.
Just my personal opinion.

All of them look to symmetrical, have a read of this Rorie regarding the 'golden ratio'.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/328059-basics-in-aquascaping/

Theres a lot of GDA on the bottom of the tank Rorie!

All of them look to symmetrical, have a read of this Rorie regarding the 'golden ratio'.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/328059-basics-in-aquascaping/

Theres a lot of GDA on the bottom of the tank Rorie!

Yeh i know, its all over my plants too! But should be sorted out now, i just need to clean! I am also adding a bunch of ottos which will hopefully keep it down too

not have those other 2 lumps of wood you have on the left

They are rock haha.

I wanted a contrast from having the wood with loads of moss round it and plants growing up through it, to the wide open area around the two rocks.....

I know all about the golden ration being an engineer, and symmetry is a good thing in my eyes haha. I tried to keep the triangular theory with the height of the objects too.

But i'm not sure..... maybe when the algae clears up and my plants spread out it will look how i had it planned in my head all that time ago :/

Looks like the favourites are 1 with around 70% of the votes, and 2 with 30% (ish).

Number 2 is what i had...and what i always planned! Loved how the fish swam through it etc etc. But it was huge, and maybe not true bogwood, as even after 3 months i still had to have it tied down to a huge amount of rocks which looked rubbish. It also blocked the light/CO2 getting to a lot of plants near it, which died. So i had to take it out...which i did not want to do really.

I then had arrangement 3, which increased to 1 as i added more wood and covered it in moss. a few red plants with big leaves are planted in the gaps which i hope will look good. I was unsure if i liked it or not, but its growing on me. And it's encouraging to see that the majority prefer this layout!

as long as you have the 'cock rock', the tanks a winner. :lol:

Just for those who are interested, i took the advice and changed my background to black....and what an improvement! My plants look SO green against the black, it created a much better contrast than the blue. Not the best of photos as it is just a snap shot, but you get the idea!
newtank-1.jpg

Just for those who are interested, i took the advice and changed my background to black....and what an improvement! My plants look SO green against the black, it created a much better contrast than the blue. Not the best of photos as it is just a snap shot, but you get the idea!
newtank-1.jpg

looks amazing mate, i personally would add the rocks from this tank aswell as whats in the black picture...
ram-7.jpg

you mean the big rock on the right? It was HUGE! And i did not like it all that much - it just took up swimming room haha. Once the wood has been in for a few weeks, i am going to cut the wires and work on getting the grass to grow around the base of them, as previously there was nothing there (other than the huge rock!!).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back