Tangs For A 50 Gallon?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

DanMan092

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What type of tangs can I get for a 50 gallon? I would like to get one for it's aesthetic value as well as it's algae eating values. I have plenty of live rock and plenty of algae. I know that most tangs require 100 gallons or more but I know that some can be in smaller tanks, such as the Kole Tang. Is 50 gallons way too small for a Yellow Tang? Thanks.

36 x 18 x 18. I have the live rock sloping back to add depth so there's plenty of swimming room.

I wouldnt recommend putting any tang in a 50 gallon because it's likely they'll become stressed and a lot of tangs are ich magnets. I think a young blue tang would do well in there but theres no guarantee. My lfs has been keeping a blue tang in a 12g nano cube for over a year. As much as I disagree with it, the little guy seems to be doing really well.

I could try that, I'd have to look into that species more before I made a purchase.

Is this tank size suitable for a Scopas Tang?

I think it's too small, tangs need at LEAST 48" but smaller ones could do okay for a while with less. The blue tang in a 12g is horrible though...

Yellow and Scopas tangs grow fairly large, and I would recommend no less than 75 gallons for the yellow and a bit larger for the scopas. You could however buy very young ones and return them when they overgrow the tank.

Chevron tangs seem to be more expensive than I wish to spend on a fish. Though they are very nice.

I think a blue would do well and theyre not too pricey or hard to come by. Just be really careful acclimating him to cut all chances of stress by as much as possible.

Not nice enough for me to fork out $200 for one... I'd stick to a cheaper one as they can be just as pretty though much more subtlely.

how about a kole or a two spot bristletooth tang. These get overlooked very often because they arnt majorly colourful but they have a strange charm to them.
I think that a tang can be kept in a tank of 50 gallons but as soon as they get to like 5 " id exchange it.

I had a yellow tang in a 55 who was only about 3.5-4" and he wasnt the happiest fish in the world. He also refused to eat veggies...it was weird. Only flake and mysis.

I like Kole Tangs but heard somewhere they they may not be suitable for a 50 gallon. I actually like all Bristletooth Tangs like the Kole Tang and the Chevron Tang. Could a Tomini Tang work? And I like the Two Spot too.

I don't really like Blues as much. I would like to get a yellow tang to add yellow to my tank but I can live without it.

Most reactions

Back