Tangs For A 50 Gallon?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I like Kole Tangs but heard somewhere they they may not be suitable for a 50 gallon. I actually like all Bristletooth Tangs like the Kole Tang and the Chevron Tang. Could a Tomini Tang work? And I like the Two Spot too.

I don't really like Blues as much. I would like to get a yellow tang to add yellow to my tank but I can live without it.
Tomini should work

Blue is a bad idea - itch magnet - grows very big and needs loads of swimming space

It's hard to find what they actually look like since they change as they grow. I was going to order it online but I have no idea what it will look like. If I get a tang it will either be a Tomini, Kole, or Two Spot. My friend wants to get a Kole (though I have no idea when he's going to go about doing so) and says I shouldn't get the same fish, but we'll see.

best bet I've had with not knowing what something will look like is finding a seller on ebay or in a forum and getting him to take a picture of the actual fish/coral for you. I've had a lot of sellers on ebay willing to do so.

So behavior wise are there any major differences between the bristletooth tangs? And will they eat large algaes such as caulerpa and grape caulerpa?

Yeah, but then it really depends on the fish...mine left certain macro algaes alone.

*and by "mine" I mean a yellow tang, so may not be relevant

Less palatable macroalgaes such as Chaetomorpha and Halimeda may be left alone, but they will probably eat most others.

Well Halimeda is easy enough to remove by itself so I don't really care about that. Now I just need to find pictures of the adults and juveniles of the fish, since they all look different as adults.

its not enough swim space for the life of the fish. I have a 60 gallon... but its a 36"x48"x12" :) Thats a little more like it... hehe

its not enough swim space for the life of the fish. I have a 60 gallon... but its a 36"x48"x12" :) Thats a little more like it... hehe

That's a 90 gallon tank. So either you put the wrong gallons or the wrong measurements. I know my tank is smaller than would be preferred but from what I've heard it should still be OK.

Well than I guess I'll get a small one. Unless someone can think up an algae eating fish that is also aesthetically pleasing.

Most reactions

Back