Tang stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

becs66

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking about setting up a tanganyikan community tank in my 160l (40 usgal) tank of dimensions 100cm x 40 cm x 40cm, and was wondering if anyone had advice on stocking. I've been looking and was thinking along liked the look of the following species that I thought might work in a tank this size.

Cyrichromis leptasoma (6???)
Neolamprologus leleupi (pair?)
Julidochromis ornatus (pair?)
Synodontis petricola (3?)

I've also got a 3" peppermint plec that is left over from the previous setup would it be ok in with the tangs considering it is used to the hard water that comes out the tap here?!

Thanks

Becs :)

Concerning the Cyprochromis, they do need room - both tank length for swimming, and height, since they are mid to top dwellers, so 'breeder' size tanks are too short, and 'tall' tanks are too narrow. They are neat fish, and completely unique cichlids.

The setup sounds good. I'm not familliar with the pleco, but generally armoured ones like bristlenose are best, as they can withstand the heat if he wanders into the cichlids nesting site when they have a clutch of eggs.

Thanks for the input! So you reckon the Cyprochromis would be ok in that tank, its big enough? Also what kind of water movement do these fish like? The tanks is currently filtered by a fluval 204, do you think this would suffice?

Cheers

:)

For the cyps, it depends. 20" tall and 36" long is the minimum I'd go with.

As far as filtration, the 204 is fine for biological. Time will tell you if you need more for mechanical filtration - they can certainly handle the flow of a second filter if you need one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back