Taking The Plunge!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes, you would get a 550 for that price, i would never buy the stand that goes with the tank they are total rubbish, tank on the other hand is a gem :good: trod is actually thinking of going back to her Orca as she misses it so much

Look around for a second hand bargain

Seffie x

Is it very tall?. I read it was 670mm high. I can't wait now I might struggle to find one second hand as I live in Swansea and it's a bit far from everything lol I shall keep my eyes peeled but don't know if I can wait that long :lol:

JD

If you take a look at my journel in the nano section there are a few photos in there that would give you perspective, I think Trod and I have our hands in the water

Seffie x

I have read your whole journal :lol: great read and i learnt a lot. I'm struggling with space atm so I think I'm going to get a tl450 untill the living room is sorted. I have read so much that the bigger tank the better. But I have a rio 240 sitting doing nothing at the moment so this could be the future upgrade :lol:
I suppose if I can keep on top of the orca then the rip should be a lot easier I hope. I know it will be a challenge but I like challenges and I quickly get obsessed with things and I'm so interested in this I think it won't be long haha.
So this is the plan:
Upgrade the skimmer to a boyu 308
Remove all filter media and replace with 1-2 kg of live rock rubble and some filter floss
Koralia nano
Argonite sand substrate
Couple of softies and some easy lps corals
6kg of live rock
Cuc and a goby shrimp pair
Pair of true perc clowns?????? ( okay after reading some more I'm guessing this is not suitable so maybe a purple fire fish or a yellow Assessor or maybe both?)
Some caeto in the back with small submersible light for nitrates
And all the test kits etc

Does that sound ok? I want to start of small to see if I'm cut out for it and it will keep me on top of it more often. All your help is greatly appreciated :good:

JD

You will regret getting the 450, nearly straight away, its a sweet little tank, but just not big enough! if you want clowns now, you will keep wanting them and be tempted to put them in the 450 :sad: The 550 sits well in a corner and doesn't take up that much room

Seffie x

Don't worry the clowns will be for the next tank :) I'm really limited on space atm untill my living room is done but this tank is just for a few months. I had a great deal on it which was just too good to turn down atm (friend of mine sold me his brand new for £40 :D) The rest of the money can go to getting good quality test kits and the right bits and bobs.
I found a lovely little shop today not far from me. He has a small choice of marines and Is an enthusiast himself. He only deals in tmc fish and all his stock is in great condition. I overheard him telling one guy that he turned some of his delivery stock of a certain fish that the guy wanted away because they were too skinny and not the right colours which can only be a good thing. And his advice to me was almost identical to what all you folks on here have to say which is good. And his prices are very good!

JD

:good: dont be afraid to name those shops and sellers that are doing a good job - might help someone else near you

Seffie x

Upgrade the skimmer to a boyu 308 - this is probably, but wait and see

Remove all filter media and replace with 1-2 kg of live rock rubble and some filter floss - sounds good, put the live rock in a media bag, i never used filter floss

Koralia nano - :good:

Argonite sand substrate :good:

Couple of softies and some easy lps corals :good:

6kg of live rock - I cant remember how many litres the tank is, but if its around 60L then you want approx 7k

Cuc and a goby shrimp pair :good:

Pair of true perc clowns?????? ( okay after reading some more I'm guessing this is not suitable

so maybe a purple fire fish or a yellow Assessor or maybe both?) If you can find an assessor you will be very lucky, but yes with good maintanance you could probably have both.

Some caeto in the back with small submersible light for nitrates :good:

And all the test kits etc

Good good. I shall read some more and start getting the kit together :D what lph koralia should I get as I have seen two differnt ones that are 900 and 1400 I think.

Thanks again :)

JD

58 litres (just looked it up) x 25 = 1450

or

20 x 58 = 1160

so, if it were me I would get the bigger one :good:

Seffie x

I shall order some stuff now :D nothing like some Internet shopping to nurse a severe hangover :lol:

I shall order some stuff now :D nothing like some Internet shopping to nurse a severe hangover :lol:

you been drinking more than your fish :rofl:
by you have caught the bug real bad
so your doing a bit of online retail
therapy jd yeah enjoy

Funnily enough I'm in the middle of doing the same thing - I'm, Christmas shopping online and nursing a hang-over :blink: will I never learn!!!

Seffie x

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back