Taking The Plunge!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jdprice1988

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

As my status says I want to start a nano reef :hyper: . I want to buy one of the all in one kits but I'm not sure which one. I have around £250 to spend on the tank itself. I won't need a cabinet. I would like one that I can grow some corals and keep a few fish and inverts. I've been looking and I'm thinking anything over 90lt.
Any help will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to asking questions and listening to what you all have to say. I've read through a few nano journals and I find it fascinating! :good:

Thanks in advance! :good:

JD

how about a orca tl550? or if u want to buy all your equipment your self then buy something like this http://www.ndaquatics.co.uk/?pg=details&ii=46 its a good deal as you get a cabinet and a sump. a sump is good for hiding equipment.

:hi: JD :good:

Probably best to start with thinking about the sort of fish you want to keep and the type pf corals :good: that way we can better help you.

I started my salty journey with the orca 550 which is 126 litres, any tank of approx that size is a great palce to start, it will allow you to keep a pair of clowns and a few other fish, plus corals. Many people start with simple tanks like the juwel 125, with t5 lights, add a skimmer and bobs your Uncle :p

Seffie x

hi jd so your going to
take the plunge :hi: to the
salty side and you just sold
me that test kit and all by the
way thanks its spot on have a look
on the Internet for a place called
calico aquatics i know they do mail
order and i think they deliver as well

I Have a rio 125L came with the lighting already hooked up for keeping marine fish, but i chose to have freshwater although next year im thinking of converting to marine when ive saved the pennies and done alot more research, what would i need to purchase to convert it? thanks

Hi seffie!
I was thinking a pair of clowns, a watchman goby and and a six lined wrasse as these are easy nano fish yes? Then have a clean up crew with a pair of shrimp, some dwarf hermits and some snails. And then some colourful hardy corals and such. Would this be overstocked in a tank around 100lt ish?

Hey biff!
I know. After selling the kit I thought I'd have a peek at the salty section to see what all the fuss is about. And then I saw it too :lol: this fishkeeping game is very addictive!

jd did you have a look at
biffsters micro reef take
a look

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/341044-the-biffster-micro-tank/page__fromsearch__1

a look

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/341044-the-biffster-micro-tank/page__fromsearch__1

Already have mate :lol: Got a good thread going there :good: I'm going to have a read of some others later

a look

Already have mate :lol: Got a good thread going there :good: I'm going to have a read of some others later

cheers jd what do you think i
might go out and look for some more
polyps next week or i might go
and see a mate of mine and see
if he as got any he could let me have
i will put some more photos up
when i do

I was thinking a pair of clowns - has to be done doesn't it

a watchman goby - lovely fish

and and a six lined wrasse - can be a little agresssive, you might want to consider something else, but its do-able

as these are easy nano fish yes? Yes :good:

Then have a clean up crew with a pair of shrimp, some dwarf hermits and some snails. And then some colourful hardy corals and such. :good:

Would this be overstocked in a tank around 100lt ish? with good maintanance it will be ok, however go for something just a little bigger and the clowns will be happier, say 125 litres

Seffie x

---------------------------------------------

Hi Jody - thats a great tank for a first timer to salt - take a look at teh journels for this tank, in particular, Harrys :good: and how about starting a thread of your own so you have all your info in one place :good:

Oh, forgive my manners - :hi: to the salty side of the forum and Jd, sorry for the hi-jack :blush:

Ahhh no problem on the hijack lol. I will think of another fish rather than the wrasse. So you think the Kent reef is out of the question then? Is there a slightly smaller species of clowns that would be ok in there as I'd probably struggle to afford a orca 550 or similar :sad:
I thought the Kent was ideal as the lighting is better than most in that range plus it seems like a nice tank. I'm in a right dilemma :lol:

JD

P.s it's looking good biff. I read your journal and that's when I thought I wanted a nano reef. Defo get some more picies up when you do :good:

Hey all,

Ok, I've come into an extra £100 :hyper: so I have £350 for a tank! Yes! Can I buy the orca tl550 without the cabinet as I won't use it. Would this be the best option for the price?

P.s. Seffie I have started reading your and trods tank journal with the 550s. It's awsome. Top read! The orcas have so much potential and you both did a fantastic job at completely netting me :lol: oh god I think I've just started an obsession :lol:

JD

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back