Syngonium, Chlorophytum, Pilea etc

A

AquaNut

I've wondered this for a long time and thought there must be users of this forum who could tell me. :D

I know some pet stores have the horrible habit of selling houseplants and marginal (semi-aquatic) plants for aquariums. I also know that some aquarists use these plants as temporary aquascaping for competitions etc. My 'other' hobby is houseplants, and I have at least four varieties that are commonly put into fish tanks (I know they don't last long). Here's my question: Is it safe to put clippings from houseplants into your aquarium if the houseplant has had chemical fertilizers? If not, how many 'generations' of clippings should I take before it would be safe to add them? My 45 gallon tank is still fairly new, and some of the plants are only a fraction the size that they will be. It could be fun to aquascape with some different looking foliage, even if it only lasts a couple of months.

TIA! Kirsten

I would be leary of putting non-aquatic plants into aquatic environments. You just don't know if they may emit any toxins into the water. The idea of aquatic plants is to filter the water of fish/snail waste and to provide oxygen through photosynthesis (along with being beautiful). "Air" plants of course do the same thing, but I would think that their cellular structure is different. I know that "air" plants have pores in the leaves. If you place them in water, I would think that they would suffocate as you noted in that they would only live for a short time.

How about investigating adding more light to your tank and experimenting with some of the more exotic aquatic plants? Overall, I think this is better for the little ecosystem that you have going there :) . Although I think plants rule, you have to consider the fish, snails, shrimp, etc that are living in there too.

--Tim

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back