Syndontis Angelicus

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Does anyone on here keep these? I did have one in about 1993 from memory and not seen one since

An old member from this forum that I befriended on FB about 15 years ago but never met messaged me the other day to say he was suffering ill health and giving up the hobby and would like me to have his Angelicus

Its a beautiful fish, about 6" long hopefully in my well fed, heavy water changing 72x30x24 itll keep growing as I imagine they have long lives for a fish

Questions are? are they particularly predatory? I have plans to keep discus in that tank with tetras as I have not kept small fish for years and do they become territorial

Thanks

I haven't kept the fish, but have talked with many who have. They get to 20-25cm, and will eat what fits in their mouths. Foodwise, they are opportunists - not picky but happy to devour smaller fish.

Synodontis angelicus are nice. They only grow to 6 or 7 inches in aquariums and have small mouths so won't eat discus or anything medium sized. They might eat neon or cardinal tetras (but hey, who wouldn't) but normally ignore everyone if well fed. They are nocturnal and hide during the day and come out at night. We had them in groups but they do need a big tank due to their size, they are pretty solid fish. You shouldn't have any issues with it.

Re: discus, they need a lot of plant matter in their diet so load the tank up with plants. The catfish will appreciate plant cover too. :)

Synodontis angelicus are nice. They only grow to 6 or 7 inches in aquariums and have small mouths so won't eat discus or anything medium sized. They might eat neon or cardinal tetras (but hey, who wouldn't) but normally ignore everyone if well fed. They are nocturnal and hide during the day and come out at night. We had them in groups but they do need a big tank due to their size, they are pretty solid fish. You shouldn't have any issues with it.

Re: discus, they need a lot of plant matter in their diet so load the tank up with plants. The catfish will appreciate plant cover too. :)
Cheers pal

I used to keep and breed discus but its been about 8 years or so. My favourite breeder who I also got food from has just retired so all a learning curve again

I might put the angellicus in my bigger tank

Most reactions

Back