Swordtail problem

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Yea i treated for the wormer doing the water chabe now
I have 2 birthing tanks 1 has the fry in the other has the molly. Ive just moved him to it.
I have a 12 l quarantine that is home to the baby platy.

Im thinking maybe move the babies in with him and get a 54l put all these in there treat em and redo my tank at least then to get rid of any worms whitespot and whatever else..

Would a 54l be ok for a few weeks

I have 2 birthing tanks 1 has the fry in the other has the molly. Ive just moved him to it.

Im thinking maybe move the babies in with him and get a 54l put all these in there treat em and redo my tank at least then to get rid of any worms whitespot and whatever else..

A 54L would be better than the incubation box. My fish got too stressed in those. Does he have any other symptoms?

I see @Ch4rlie & @Wills online - any advice?

No just at the bottom of the breeder not moving much.
Its upsetting because in trying all i can.
Here is some pics

Last one is of my dalmation. Persistant this bloody worm.
Do you think my fry could have it dont want to mobe them in with the other if there is a chance

Attachments

• 1599901525913820062816235641467.jpg
    1599901525913820062816235641467.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 15999015459306398391421681921471.jpg
    15999015459306398391421681921471.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 15999015880923690259522009140683.jpg
    15999015880923690259522009140683.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 94
You can move the male into the 54l tank, not ideal but just temporary as they are pretty active fish that normally requires at least a 3 foot long tank to swim the length of tank as am sure you’re already aware of.

But it’s better than the birthing tank that’s for sure. These things really do stress adults out tbh.

But would not put the fry / babies in with him, if they’re small enough then they have the potential to be food to the adult male.

I would treat the entire livestock you have for worms as it will likely have infected them all tbh.

I dont have the 54l at the mo id have to go and buy it.
The fry i was thinking of putting in the 12l i already have with a small platy 8 weeks old ish.
Ive treated for worms friday so another dose on friday next week is due

Part of the problem is your soft water. Mollies and swordtails are hard water fish, but your hardness is 5 dH/83 ppm
Hardness clarke:5.8

Keeping hard water fish in soft water weakens them. Soft water + worms + worm treatment could just be too much for the fish I'm afraid.

Ive got a new test kit i was using the tetra strips. Ive posted results above i thought it wad higher.. yea the lfs never said a dicky bird when i brought em.
Last time i had fish was when i was 10 to 15 so 20 years ago

I'm sorry that your molly is struggling :( Will try to help.

What are the new water test results?
Do you have an airstone running in the tanks? Raised temp and medications can reduce oxygen in the water, an airstone can help.

I think the treatment might be taking its toll on one of my black mollies im just observing him at the moment sitting at the bottom.. has moved about and come upto the top.
Just done the gravel clean. Weird though i think they have allocated a toilet area because the most crap was by the mossballs upfront.

Water change being done in a min and will go over gravel again
Fish don't really toilet train (would be useful if they did!) but like @AilyNC said,
it's common to have certain spots where the worst of the muck builds up, according to filters, tank flow, and decor that things get trapped behind and under sometimes.
@AdoraBelle Dearheart you did worming with Mollies recently, any advice?

I think poop gathers where the water flow leaves it too. But if you do see poop zones concentrate there when gravel cleaning.

No just at the bottom of the breeder not moving much.
Its upsetting because in trying all i can.
Here is some pics

Last one is of my dalmation. Persistant this bloody worm.
Do you think my fry could have it dont want to mobe them in with the other if there is a chance

I'm confused about how many tanks you have and which you're treating?

Hold off on trying to re-do any tanks, you won't get rid of ich by tearing down a tank, nor worms either unless you start from scratch or bleach everything. Bleach steralising equipment like nets and buckets between worm treatments is worth doing (can show you how to do it safely!) to kill worms eggs, but moving things around and tearing down tanks isn't the way to beat this thing. Using the right medication, the right amount of times, and in every tank, will wipe it out from your tanks. Then you only have to worry about quarantining new fish/plants etc when you bring in something new. I understand how horrible and scary it is, believe me, when worms appeared in my tanks again, I was so traumatised by the previous bout I went ham bleaching cleaning everything and being paranoid about cross contamination. I know what it's like! I have a thread on it here I can show you, I was a mess. But carefully and methodically is the way to beat this; not moving fish around or starting over. Chin up, you'll get through it too.

That photo of the dalmation confirms that it's camallanus at least. Which medication are you using again, and are you treating each tank? Because camallanus worms are highly contagious, and they can lay low for a long time before you notice symptoms. Eggs can be transferred just by you putting your hands in one tank then another, or shared equipment like nets, syphons, buckets etc. You really need to treat each tank at the same time. Trust me, I avoided treating one tank when i had camallanus, and regretted it. Just meant I lost more fish and needing to treat all of them again when worms popped up again later. If the fry have ever been in a tank with any of your other livebearers, or you've used the same net or bucket, they need treating too. Livebearers from fish stores are almost all from fish farms abroad, and both round and flat worms are super common with them.

My fry as young as two days old survived medication just fine, the problems for my livebearer fry happened before I knew it was worms, and fry that were between 1-2 months old began dying off. They were old enough to have ingested worm eggs and for the worms to have grown and become a heavy worm burden, but the fry were not yet old enough to be able to carry worms without too many ill effects like the adults were. For a time anyway, adults als became skinny, lethargic and having those long stringy white poops long before I finally saw the tell tale red paintbrush like worms. I lost so many fish in that age range before treatment - none since treatment. Better to treat them now than before the worms get large and cause more damage.

Which sadly, is the other thing that could be affecting your molly. Medicating and killing the worms isn't always the end of it, the medication either paralyses or kills the worms (depends on the med I think), which are still inside the fish. When those worms were alive, they attached themselves to the fishes digestive tract, to absorb nutrients. When they detach, that leaves small wounds, which can lead to infection. Or the fish struggles to pass the dead worms, and pass away from having dead worms degrading inside them. That's a horrible fact and I'm so sorry, but it's possible that the worms were just too much for this fish, or he was too weakened and has a secondary infection, or he hasn't been able to pass them. You could try feeding a blanched shelled and crushed pea to see if it helps him pass them, but other than that, keeping the water as pristine as possible with lots of fresh water changes is the best medicine.

hi i have 2 air stones running, one is near the filter outlet so as the bubbles come up it blows them back into the tank again.
the part regarding the toilet area i was meaning it as a joke, there was just more built up in one area than the rest.

i have 2 tanks in total,
my big Jewel Rio 240 and a small 12 litre from pets at home to use as a quarantine if needed, we got this the day "sammy" our fighter passed but also found "babba" next to him near the filter i thought it was a leaf at 1st.
since she was the only one ever found she went in the quarantine tank on the Mrs instructions where she has been ever since, she has been looking fine and had no issues, eats like a pig though, ill make sure i allocate a net to that tank only.

the quarantine tank has a small heater small pump and a couple of fake plants and live moss balls, no gravel but on a pure black counter top

i noticed itch on this black molly and began treating with interpret white spot treatment, i read on here regarding the heat but i was unsure with the plecos and loaches. the white spot is looking to be all gone, however i know now use the heat instead if it returns.
the worms have been noted the last couple of days, i got nt labs fluke and wormer and dosed for 200l so 4ml on Thursday evening when i returned from work this was to allow for the displacement and airing on the side of caution. hasn't bothered any of the pest snails at the moment though.
i noticed a few having white stringy poops and even one of my platys today.
i have done a partial water change this morning and cleaned the gravel, i have a fluval provac so i made sure i threw away the pad straight away and the vac bits went into a bowl of hot water.

i have thrown away my old carbax cartridge and carbon sponge (took these out before treatment) and planning to dose again on Thursday night
in the mean time ill continue to do a partial change each day until then.

my water is pretty clean, just the odd little bit floating of a plant that i need to try and get.

ill test the water again now and post results

what else would you recommend

ps fishes named by the mrs

Well id like to thank everyone already. When i 1st posted in another thread i got alot of critisism which hurt abit as i was trying to do the right thing and seek help.
I went back and found that thread, I'm sorry you got such a harsh interrogation when you first posted, that wasn't helpful to you at all. That person has gone now, and we're not all like that, I promise!
Mrs made me catch one of the fry that are loose in the tank. Its bigger than the fry ive got you were right they are randy

I dont have the 54l at the mo id have to go and buy it.
The fry i was thinking of putting in the 12l i already have with a small platy 8 weeks old ish.
Ive treated for worms friday so another dose on friday next week is due

I think this is where I was getting confused with the fry/tank think, when you say birthing tanks, do you mean the plastic breeder boxes that hang inside the main 240 litre one? I was imagining separate tanks, I'm sorry. So most of the fry are being treated along with the others, yes?

You really need to treat the platy fry that is alone in the 12L though. Assigning one net to that tank now is too late, the platy was born in the tank with worms and has already been exposed. I would dose that tank today, then treat him next week at the same time you treat the main tank. All the fish need to be treated to get rid of camallanus - it's a very contagious and persistent worm if you don't treat thoroughly, so all livestock needs treating, and repeat treatments need to be done, even if the fish look better - in order to kill any new worms that hatched out after the first doses.

I wouldn't bring in another tank or move anything into a different tank until you've finished the final treatment.The last thing you want to do is contaminate a new tank, or leave a fish untreated which then suffers from the worms and re-infects all your other fish.

Ill start on treating right away the little one.
Sorry for the confusion i was meaning breeder boxes

Tests on the main tank are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8
Kh 124.6 ppm
Gh 178 ppm

Ive attached 3 pics
1 is of babba in the quarantine tank
The 2nd is of the recent batch in the breeder box.
One of them is bigger than the others so im thinking theres been a few births happening
3rd is of the tank as is so you can see it

Attachments

• 15999146693901289633015089053963.jpg
    15999146693901289633015089053963.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 109
  • 15999147315315263892363180149993.jpg
    15999147315315263892363180149993.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 15999147950788803273948321141644.jpg
    15999147950788803273948321141644.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 105
That's a gorgeous tank. Hopefully the worming medicine gets to work, be sure to repeat weekly for 4 doses.

Thanks. That log along the far edge literally fits that width and is the plecos home.
I got the three when i ordered my tank so i was lucky they worked so well

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back