Swordtail problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just gone in to check on her and shes resting. However i can see what looks like a red v fork shape thing protruding from her anal area

Is it an actual v or does it look like paintbrush bristles?

Its hard to get a close up pic but the besg way to describe it is as a snake forked tongue

That sounds like camallanus worms, unfortunately. It's usually described as looking like red paintbrush bristles protruding from the anus when the fish is motionless, and they go back inside when the fish swims.

If it does look like this you need to treat the fish - and the whole tank. Use eSHa ndx or NT Labs Anti Fluke and Wormer. I know the eSHa one says to repeat the course after several days, the NT labs one may say the same. This is important. The meds don't kill the eggs so the fish can be reinfected and the later courses are to kill the worms that hatched after the first course.

That sounds like camallanus worms, unfortunately. It's usually described as looking like red paintbrush bristles protruding from the anus when the fish is motionless, and they go back inside when the fish swims.

If it does look like this you need to treat the fish - and the whole tank. Use eSHa ndx or NT Labs Anti Fluke and Wormer. I know the eSHa one says to repeat the course after several days, the NT labs one may say the same. This is important. The meds don't kill the eggs so the fish can be reinfected and the later courses are to kill the worms that hatched after the first course.

Will this cause issues with small fry.. ive got swordtails platys mollies guppies neons plecos and dwarf loaches. the treatments ive read for these say could cause more harm than good

Will this cause issues with small fry.. ive got swordtails platys mollies guppies neons plecos and dwarf loaches. the treatments ive read for these say could cause more harm than good
I treated tanks with eSHa ndx (kills camallanus worms) and eSHa gdex and eSHa 2000 recently, including tanks with 2 day old guppy fry and shrimp, and otocinclus. They handled it just fine. Better than they handled the worms, which killed too many fish, including fry between 1-2 months old - before I could diagnose exactly which worms were causing the problem.

Camallus worms will kill them sooner or later. Avoiding treatment just means more fish will become infected.

I can get the nt labs one delivered tomorrow from amazon and start dosing
If they dont mention time between dosing how long would you say

I can get the nt labs one delivered tomorrow from amazon and start dosing
If they dont mention time between dosing how long would you say
I have NT Labs Anti-Fluke & Wormer. It's 1ml per 50ml tank water. One dose a week for 4 weeks. Elsewhere here @Colin_T had a post advising to do a big water Change & clean substrate within 24-48hrs after dosing & a filter clean within 24 hrs.

Don't clean the filter with tap water. Clean it in bucket of dirty tank water.
I normally shake it in old tank water. Got my carbon sponge in some now but might binnit and get a fresh one.
How would you guys water match temp a large amount of water ive got 1 22l bucket with a heater that i fill and get ready i use the 2nd to fill with old water to replace like for like.
Should i do partial changes each day with the gravel clean

The advice was just after the first 24-48hrs one big change. I usually do 75% change and I match the heat by adding boiling tap water from kettle and use thermometer to get it right. By bucket is 15 litres & usually one kettle does the trick or a little under. I think you need to take out any carbon when you put medication in.

Treatments on the way. Just checked on her 1st thing shes ok moving about.. off her food today bit of a bad sign but will keep trying.
I looked again and your right is like a paint brush. Them child plastic paint by numbers ones.
Daddys still not left her side bless him

Sorry to hear that :rip: but yeah good idea to treat the tank.

Take the carbon out but don't put a new one in as it'll adsorb the medication. You can put a new one in after all the treatment courses have finished, but throw it away after 2 or 3 days as it will be full of medication. Then rather than put another carbon sponge in, replace it with plain sponge. Carbon is not needed routinely, it's main purpose is to remove medication after treatment has finished.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back