Switching From Sand To Soil

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

squidneh

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Wow, been a long time since I created a thread here.

Anyhow, I lost the 'fish bug' for several months. I obviously kept my fish alive and still maintained the tank, but not as actively or as willingly as I once did. 

Financials wise and time wise, I am now able to get back into the hobby more. I ordered a new light (which I got half off, yay!) and I have plans to harvest some plants locally. 

Okay, to the point. I am going to switch over from sand to soil. However I really would like to preserve the layer of sand I have now for fear of uncycling my tank if I remove it. I have a few questions. 

-can I somehow add the soil without fully emptying the tank/removing my fish? I could corral them to half the tank like I normally do when I'm working on things. I figure I'd have some cloudiness issues, which I can deal with, but would it harm the fish? I plan to rinse/wet the soil before I add it to the tank. I'm not sure if I want to cap the dirt or let it be a more natural dirted tank. I plan to let the plants basically run wild. 

-also, can I just add the dirt on top of the old sand? It's a really thin layer, probably not even an inch deep.

This will require a complete tear down of the existing tank.  The soil must go in first, and then a layer of sand (or fine gravel) on top, after you have planted it.  You don't want the soil on the top, it will be an endless mess.

I have changed substrates many times (I have several tanks running), and I always move the fish into a temporary tank (you can use the existing filter to maintain the nitrifiers).  You don't want to be rushed, and having the fish out of the way and safe for more than a couple days if necessary is worth it.

Changing to soil is something I would not do, given the minimal benefit for the work and the likely problems over the first six months or so.  But that's up to you.

Byron.

Hmm, now that you mention it, I think it may not be worth the work. I'm mostly concerned about the potential issues that may arise after I get the soil in, cloudiness and water quality issues, so I may just add a better/thicker layer of sand. I have cories so I'd like to stay way from even fine gravel for their benefit. 

If I were to add pool filter sand (like I already have currently) would that also be a full tear down? When I initially set up the tank, I had zero issues with cloudiness from day 1. I will do a full tear down if needed, I just don't have another tank to move the fish to, I have a 5 gallon bucket - and my rainbow shark and CAE are never happy about being in such close quarters, with each other and my other various fish, so whatever I do will have to be done in a few hours with the help of my fiance. This is a 75 gallon tank.  

If you are simply adding more of the same type of sand you now have, you can do this without a tear-down.  I would do a thorough vacuum well into the existing substrate first, just to avoid packing detritus too deep too suddenly.  Then wash the new sand and pour it in carefully.  I don't know which thread it was, but you may be able to find it, where someone posted a video showing how to use a plastic juice jug or something and it almost totally avoided any mess when adding more sand.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back