Surprised by Rummy Nose tetra dance at 1st light this morningā€¦

Magnum Man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
At 1st light this morning, I noticed much more activity in my South American tank than normalā€¦ apparently they are group spawners, like a female is ready, and all the males in the school chase her aroundā€¦ so far, Iā€™ve only witnessed couples dancingā€¦ this group dancing, was kind of surprising, but I suppose could be expected, on fish that shoal in a dozenā€¦
I know nothing, about how they breedā€¦ assuming they are egg scatterersā€¦ no chance of any survival, in a community tankā€¦ but interesting to watchā€¦
Iā€™ve never even been able to keep tetras, with my previous waterā€¦ interesting what you can see, when you can provide a fish what it actually needsā€¦
I canā€™t tell them apart, but looks like a group of 5 or 6 races around, assuming they are lead by the female, intermittently she stops, and 4 or 5 others all rub against her shimmying for a few seconds, then off she goes, with them all racing behind her, until she stops againā€¦
Itā€™s nice having the tanks in my bedroom, so I can witness things like thisā€¦
Hmmmā€¦ she may be depositing on leaves of the plants. As she seems to rub up on them occasionallyā€¦ or maybe she is applying pressure to release eggs??? They are so small of a fish, the eggs must be really tinyā€¦

Last edited:
It's spawning, and it's beautiful to see that The eggs probably can't develop unless you have very soft water, but it's a great sign they're healthy and happy.

Iā€™ve heard some or most Coryā€™s are group spawnersā€¦ this has been going on for at least a half hourā€¦ the Angels have relinquished center stage to the Rummyā€™s
I canā€™t tell if itā€™s more than one female or not really, but looks like the whole group takes part in the ordealā€¦ there is so much action, with all 12 of them taking part, and no real visible difference between the males and femalesā€¦
I donā€™t regularly check my water anymore, since I switched to the RO waterā€¦ last test of the RO, the water was 7.0 as it should beā€¦ there are multiple pieces of driftwood in the tank, and I keep a couple almond leaves in the tankā€¦ I donā€™t think the driftwood releases much tannins, after being exposed to my old alkaline water for so long, so I expect my Ph is in the upper 6ā€™s

Last edited:
At 1st light this morning, I noticed much more activity in my South American tank than normalā€¦ apparently they are group spawners, like a female is ready, and all the males in the school chase her aroundā€¦ so far, Iā€™ve only witnessed couples dancingā€¦ this group dancing, was kind of surprising, but I suppose could be expected, on fish that shoal in a dozenā€¦
Humans do that too. See a nice girl at the bar in a short skirt with a big rack and all the guys chase her.
Sorry ladies

I know nothing, about how they breedā€¦ assuming they are egg scatterersā€¦ no chance of any survival, in a community tankā€¦ but interesting to watchā€¦
Iā€™ve never even been able to keep tetras, with my previous waterā€¦ interesting what you can see, when you can provide a fish what it actually needsā€¦
I canā€™t tell them apart, but looks like a group of 5 or 6 races around, assuming they are lead by the female, intermittently she stops, and 4 or 5 others all rub against her shimmying for a few seconds, then off she goes, with them all racing behind her, until she stops againā€¦
They are egg scatterers and when they stop in the plants for a few seconds and the males are by her side doing the hippy hippy shake, that is them breeding and expelling gametes (eggs & sperm). This will continue until the female/s have expelled all their eggs.

The eggs are photosensitive and don't develop in bright light. Normal breeding tanks are dark, have a dark substrate, tea stained water from tannins, a PH around 6.0 and a GH close to 0ppm. After the fish have bred the adults are removed and the tank is blacked out until the fry hatch. Blacking out the tank simply means covering the sides with dark paper to stop light getting to the eggs.

When a fish or group of fish start to breed, they release hormones that can trigger other fishes to breed. You might find tomorrow some of the other fishes in the tank displaying.

No new displaying this morning, but most everyone in the tank are juvenilesā€¦ I do have 3 electric blue rams in the tank, a 2of them seem more chummy, and the same with 2 of the 4 Apistoā€™s, but no displaying going on with the dwarf cichlids

All the tanks got some Bacter AE, and some freeze dried brine shrimp this morning, so that may have quelled the romance this morning

Most reactions

trending

Back