Surge protectors and watts/volts

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I was wondering what wattage or voltage of surge protector id need to protect equipment for both a 20 gallon tank run with an aqua clear 30, fluval m100 heater, nicrew lighting and a 10 gallon run with a sponge filter, 10 gallon heater, and low lighting.

So I was wondering what wattage or voltage of surge protector id need to protect equipment for both a 20 gallon tank run with an aqua clear 30, fluval m100 heater, nicrew lighting and a 10 gallon run with a sponge filter, 10 gallon heater, and low lighting.
idk what i used but i just found a normal looking one that can run everything (all the powerful stuff) in my 75g

idk what i used but i just found a normal looking one that can run everything (all the powerful stuff) in my 75g
Out of curiosity (you dont have to say if you sont want to) but how much would you say you spent on that surge protector?

If you're using 2 100 watt heaters and running filters and air pumps, any surge protector would do fine.

If you're using 2 100 watt heaters and running filters and air pumps, any surge protector would do fine.
But certain surge protectors have a max voltage...

US protectors are 125 volts
They generally have a maximum amperage of 15 amps which is plenty for your purpose.

US protectors are 125 volts
They generally have a maximum amperage of 15 amps which is plenty for your purpose.
The one I got says 900 jouels... I don't know how to convert it so I looked it up and its only 90 volts...

You're overthinking this. You're confusing joules and voltage. Joules relates to amount of surge protection to protect equipment. You usually want a high joule rating if you're putting tv's, computers, hifi equipment etc. on the surge protector. For your fish equipment, I wouldnt worry much about the joule rating. Just about any surge protector would suffice for fish tank equipment.

You're overthinking this. You're confusing joules and voltage. Joules relates to amount of surge protection to protect equipment. You usually want a high joule rating if you're putting tv's, computers, hifi equipment etc. on the surge protector. For your fish equipment, I wouldnt worry much about the joule rating. Just about any surge protector would suffice for fish tank equipment.
Ok... Its just it says "protects UP TO 125v" (I looked on the packaging and it said 125v) but the aquaclear 30 doesnt say its rating on the manual so I looked it up and it says 240v...

The surge protector you have is fine for the equipment you are protecting.

Be sure to save your receipt, and note the day you put the protector into service...most are guaranteed against failure for a certain amount of time (read your warranty info).

Ok... I will keep it then. Thanks. Hopefully it works 😬
The surge protector you have is fine for the equipment you are protecting.

Be sure to save your receipt, and note the day you put the protector into service...most are guaranteed against failure for a certain amount of time (read your warranty info).

Ok... Its just it says "protects UP TO 125v" (I looked on the packaging and it said 125v) but the aquaclear 30 doesnt say its rating on the manual so I looked it up and it says 240v...
There are no 240V filters in the US to the best of my knowledge and no plug-in surge protectors for 240V either. Not sure about other countries though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back