Supporting member

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Aaaww, bless ya, thank you for caring :friends:

Yep, just technical issues and I'm a luddite who is terrible with computers, so I rely on much more tech savvy friends to help me choose a new laptop and fix any problems! lol. But try not to worry if I ever go quiet for a while. I sometimes withdraw and go quiet because of depression, yes, but I always get through it and come back, so don't panic :) And I'm also often busy, with caring for folks and pets and then wind up not logging in for a bit. Real life always comes first, and sometimes life keeps you offline for a bit, but no need to worry :)
If you ever have a computer issue and can't find a local answer try out my computer help forums at https://computerhaven.com/forum

Aaaww, bless ya, thank you for caring :friends:

Yep, just technical issues and I'm a luddite who is terrible with computers, so I rely on much more tech savvy friends to help me choose a new laptop and fix any problems! lol. But try not to worry if I ever go quiet for a while. I sometimes withdraw and go quiet because of depression, yes, but I always get through it and come back, so don't panic :) And I'm also often busy, with caring for folks and pets and then wind up not logging in for a bit. Real life always comes first, and sometimes life keeps you offline for a bit, but no need to worry :)
Get Adele... No, not Adele, A dell. Really nice computers. Try for a newer one (not the newest that would be VERY expensive) but try to get maybe a series before. Probably will work really well for your use and won't be extremely expensive

You are quite welcome! :)

We are small but have a LOT of knowledge. Between myself and my other admin we have like 20 awards from Microsoft.
That's awesome!!!

Get Adele... No, not Adele, A dell. Really nice computers. Try for a newer one (not the newest that would be VERY expensive) but try to get maybe a series before. Probably will work really well for your use and won't be extremely expensive
Thank you, but all sorted now! Was offline since it died, then friend who is great with computers came with me to the store to help me choose a new one :) and make sure I didn't buy all the ad-ons they try to sell you like their Norton anti-virus and them setting it up for you. He helped me set it up and install a free antivirus and stuff.

But on my to-do list is to set up a paypal then become a supporting member! I promise, it's literally written on my paper and pen to-do list, so hopefully I'll get to doing that today :D Either way, it'll be soon. Have had so much invaluable advice and support from this forum, and membership is super cheap, it's the least we can do to help keep this place going, when it's been so helpful to so many people for so long.

Thank you, but all sorted now! Was offline since it died, then friend who is great with computers came with me to the store to help me choose a new one :) and make sure I didn't buy all the ad-ons they try to sell you like their Norton anti-virus and them setting it up for you. He helped me set it up and install a free antivirus and stuff.

But on my to-do list is to set up a paypal then become a supporting member! I promise, it's literally written on my paper and pen to-do list, so hopefully I'll get to doing that today :D Either way, it'll be soon. Have had so much invaluable advice and support from this forum, and membership is super cheap, it's the least we can do to help keep this place going, when it's been so helpful to so many people for so long.
Glad you had a good friend help you!
Only thing I'm confused about is the Norton anti-virus... We use it because it's the best out there and as far as I know free anti-viruses don't do a really good job with blocking hackers.
You get what you pay for with norton

Only thing I'm confused about is the Norton anti-virus... We use it because it's the best out there and as far as I know free anti-viruses don't do a really good job with blocking hackers.
Norton is not the best AV program out there...average, at best...but it's better than nothing

Anyhow, back on topic ;)

Norton is not the best AV program out there...average, at best...but it's better than nothing
Really? I've heard really good things and it's definitely helped us with unsecured things on the computer

I use

and

and

Used all three together in the Pro variant (usually ultra inexpensive deals being done and cover 1-3 pooters) for the last 15+ years. Never had any virus issues or "blue screen of death" episodes or driver issues....all scanned, updated and cleaned automatically.

And as extra security I use the paid for variant of

Again zero issues for many years.

I use

and

and

Used all three together in the Pro variant (usually ultra inexpensive deals being done and cover 1-3 pooters) for the last 15+ years. Never had any virus issues or "blue screen of death" episodes or driver issues....all scanned, updated and cleaned automatically.

And as extra security I use the paid for variant of

Again zero issues for many years.
I get all of that in one package, except for the driver updater, have a different program for that

The Total Security package: https://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/consumer/new/2020/cl-offer1-opt/last-offer.html?pid=60off&&cid=ppc|c|Bing&s_kwcid=AL!6076!10!76965956318009!76965938858863&msclkid=b53431670a9b11d53e6d5380c0e8780a&gclid=b53431670a9b11d53e6d5380c0e8780a&gclsrc=3p.ds

Last edited:
Also,
Norton is a bit of a memory hog as well I've been told, as well as the cost and no longer being the best out there. Used a lot of open source stuff, and while he talked me through the safety programmes he was installing like the antivirus, I also glaze over a bit and get lost because again, I'm a luddite ;) I don't use most social media either.

Best protection against viruses phishing scams etc is common sense. Don't click on dodgy looking things. go to sus websites, click random links or install something if you're not sure about it is, or add toolbars etc, and know what phishing scams are out there so you don't fall for the dodgy email and bot messages. So while I'm a luddite and use mostly free, open source stuff for computers, I'm also scammer savvy and careful, so despite being online since the AOL days, heck, now that I think of it, I've been online since before you were born! :eek: I've never been hacked/identity stolen, or had a virus. *touch wood* that I don't have that happen now, after tempting fate by saying that!

Also,

Norton is a bit of a memory hog as well I've been told, as well as the cost and no longer being the best out there. Used a lot of open source stuff, and while he talked me through the safety programmes he was installing like the antivirus, I also glaze over a bit and get lost because again, I'm a luddite ;) I don't use most social media either.

Best protection against viruses phishing scams etc is common sense. Don't click on dodgy looking things. go to sus websites, click random links or install something if you're not sure about it is, or add toolbars etc, and know what phishing scams are out there so you don't fall for the dodgy email and bot messages. So while I'm a luddite and use mostly free, open source stuff for computers, I'm also scammer savvy and careful, so despite being online since the AOL days, heck, now that I think of it, I've been online since before you were born! :eek: I've never been hacked/identity stolen, or had a virus. *touch wood* that I don't have that happen now, after tempting fate by saying that!
Very true.

Grrrrr! I detest big box store systems such as Dell and HP. One must keep in mind that every component is supplied by the lowest bidder. :dunno:

When it comes to a desktop system I build my own of which I currently have two. The older has been around for 9 years and is still fullt usable running Windows 10. My main is a beast with a graphics card that cost over $1100.00. Actually the second and older is mostly used as a backup system on my network. I have 10 TB of hard disk storage dedicated to mostly movies in each desktop. I have over 1000 movies on each. I use the second desktop mostly for a backup of my media. If I have a drive failure I just replace the drive and and copy everything back.

I DO buy pre-built laptops though as they are just too much of a pain to build. My largest laptop is an Asus with a 15.6 inch screen connected to a 27 inch external monitor. Got a total steal on that Asus by going reconditioned over 10 years ago. Original retail was over $1000.00 but I got reconditioned for $479.00. Over 10 years later it is still going strong running Windows 10.

I also have a 10.8 inch Microsoft Surface running Windows 11 that I use mostly for reading eBooks along with a 14 inch MacBook Air running Windows 10 and MacOS. I just select what OS I want at boot.

Then there is Norton... what a bad piece of work! Back when Peter Norton owned Norton security it was great and I actually did beta testing for them. Then he sold out to Symantec and it went down hill fast. Symantec is like a clearing house that only cares about sales. Not as bad as it was several years ago when even trying to remove using Windows Programs and Features would have a good chance of toasting your system. You had to use a special software tool to safely remove.

So what should be used for security software? Actually the Windows built in anti-virus, Defender, is better than advertised but not enough. Defender anti virus is exactly that, anti virus but, in today's world there are are security risks that will not be covered by anti virus software namely malware such as ransomware. So how does one protect against malware? Read on grasshopper...

Enter Malware Bytes Anti Malware Premium (MBAM)! Awesome piece of security software! Between Windows Defender and MBAM you really need nothing else. MBAM even protects your web browsing by checking the code on a page before the web page loads. If it finds malicious code it will refuse to allow the page to load on your system. MBAM DOES offer a free version but it is just an on demand scanner not real time protection. The premium version, with real time protection, is not free but likely less than the yearly subscription for Norton especially if you do a 2 year subscription. Between Windows Defender and MBAM you have better protection than Nortom at a lower price. Here is a link for MBAM:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back