The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So, I recently purchased a 90bgallon acrylic tank, that was originally used as a saltwater tank. It did not come with a sump/filter, but has the fitting for it(I believe). What do I need to get this tank going (freshwater) other than a good cleaning.

Attachments

• 20220116_162535.jpg
    20220116_162535.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220116_162524.jpg
    20220116_162524.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220116_162512.jpg
    20220116_162512.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220110_204816.jpg
    20220110_204816.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 45
Is there a pipe/hole coming from inside the tank to outside of the tank? On the two return sections is it connected through the back of the tank or are there compartments built into the tank behind them?

It's hard to tell from the photos how the water is flowing through this. If you can get some photos of any connectors on the outside of the tank and any other compartments on the back it may help.

Basically to set it up with a sump you will need another tank or even a tub as the sump, some piping for the output from the tank and piping for the return (and possibly a T split so it goes to both sides). You will also need a return pump and some filter media. A couple of valves can also be useful for controlling the flow rates in and out of the tank which is useful for making it run quieter.

What size pump you need will depend on 1) How big the piping is and 2) How high it has to push the water. There are calculators online that can work it out for you.

Just my $.02.....
Although I have a makeshift 45g sump on my 110g stock tank, I'd suggest either a HOB filter (or two) in either an Aquaclear 70 or 110 or Seachem Tidal OR a canister filter. Canister filters are great, but a bear to tear down and clean while the large HOBs are a breeze to service while never even shutting them down (media baskets just lift out).
Now I didn't mention a sponge filter or two - I have several in grow out tanks, but they just bother me in display tanks as they kinda ruin the ambiance if you like a show tank that looks nice.

Just my $.02.....
Although I have a makeshift 45g sump on my 110g stock tank, I'd suggest either a HOB filter (or two) in either an Aquaclear 70 or 110 or Seachem Tidal OR a canister filter. Canister filters are great, but a bear to tear down and clean while the large HOBs are a breeze to service while never even shutting them down (media baskets just lift out).
Now I didn't mention a sponge filter or two - I have several in grow out tanks, but they just bother me in display tanks as they kinda ruin the ambiance if you like a show tank that looks nice.
I don't miss my canister that I replaced with a AC110 when it went wonky. I dreaded cleaning it.
I'd like to design and build a sump for my 125 gallon, for fun, engineers are weird that way.

I don't miss my canister that I replaced with a AC110 when it went wonky. I dreaded cleaning it.
I'd like to design and build a sump for my 125 gallon, for fun, engineers are weird that way.
I added the 45g sump to my 110g stock tank (colony breeding red swordtails) for increased water volume and to test anoxic biocenosis clarification baskets (it already had a Polar Auroa [unbranded Sunsun] HW304 B canister filter).
It continues to serve as a sump, with double duty as a fry grow out tank - fry are tasty and delicious for adult fish, so I rescue fry from the 110g periodically and put them in the sump until big enough not to be food!
A HOB just would'nt work well on the Tufstuff stock tank w/o surgery so I like the canister filter there but it is a pain to empty, haul to the sink, and clean.
s5-w.jpg

So, I recently purchased a 90bgallon acrylic tank, that was originally used as a saltwater tank. It did not come with a sump/filter, but has the fitting for it(I believe). What do I need to get this tank going (freshwater) other than a good cleaning.
looks like it would have connected to a sump in a cabinet

So, the hoses are coming out the back of the tank (looks like they were chopped off) look like maybe an inch diameter. I will have to take pics when I get home. I wouldn't mind a HOB, or I can make a tub or spare 10 gallon into a sump, but the only place to put a HOB would be to hang it on the front side of the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back