Sully!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SamB

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I made a DIY 3 gallon tank (originally it was supposed to be 9.. but i messed up the glass when I was cutting.. Whoops!

Anyways.. through a lot of sealing and resealing I finally got it full and working! And I made a wicked glass filter to go in there.

I had full intentions of getting a dwarf puffer fish in there.. but in petco on a date with my girlfriend (we were killing time..  promise..) I saw Sully.. and I had to get him. Like. Right then. 

But we were in the middle of a date! We ended up sneaking him in to the movies with us :D He watched Monsters University in theaters.. how many other fish can say they've done that?! His name comes from the movie.

a5cb9624ded411e29ad122000aa8027e_7.jpg

^sully checking out monsters university

I know you must be dying to see him after all this teasing, so here he is!

20130702_193011.jpg

Heeeeee's black! YES! From PETCO!

20130702_193014.jpg

He's a black, double tail halfmoon betta

20130702_193043.jpg

^ playing ^

20130702_193050.jpg

His fins are a little torn up i think but i'm treating him to plenty of water changes.

20130702_193135.jpg

20130702_193149.jpg

20130702_193208.jpg

what do you think?!

Sully looks like a very beautiful and happy fish! Looking forward to see him when his fins grow back!
smile.png

Nordk said:
Sully looks like a very beautiful and happy fish! Looking forward to see him when his fins grow back!
smile.png

Asks Petco manager "This betta is pretty torn up and kind of pricy, can you do a damaged price on him? It's gonna take some time to get him back into shape."

Petco manager "No.. that's what they all look like"

noexpression.gif

no.gif

He looks absolutely beautiful! :wub: I like his name :3

The tank its self was hand built:
20130702_202251.jpg

Top view:

20130702_202301.jpg

front view of the filter. At the bottom there is a small square gap and a piece of filter pad is in there between a   Diagram follows:
20130702_202316.jpg

side+diagram.png

^it's hooked up to an air pump and the white circles represent ceramic media. The blue is a filter pad.

20130702_202332.jpg

Side view.

20130702_202341.jpg

My TINY heater back there!

So that's the set up! Built everything except the heater!

Beautiful betta! Haha I wish everytime I took my gf to the LFS it would be classified a date
tongue2.gif

Man your really tempting me to set up a betta tank now haha
Look amazing and great DIY work, I'm a big supporter of saving money and learning a few things by building things yourself, well done!
smile.png

I like it all!!  Good job for sure and great filter idea!

Nice tank! I've always wanted to do an all DIY setup.
sorcerer.gif
 How did you attatch the walls together, silicone only?

Nordk said:
Nice tank! I've always wanted to do an all DIY setup.
sorcerer.gif
 How did you attatch the walls together, silicone only?

Yep. I use GE Silicone I which is safe for tanks (despite the warning label). GE Silicone II is NOT safe for tanks, apparently. 

I didn't notice the rough edges before, did the glass give you trouble on the break?  Only asking because I am going to do something like that very soon and would like to know what I am up against

This was my first time cutting glass ever. I definitely screwed up some of the scoring but i think that's just from inexperience. I would also recommend breaking through the method of putting half over the edge of the table and half off. I didn't have luck with the whole using the cutter to raise half of the glass.. that ended up with cracked glass for me. I also didn't spend too much time on sanding it. I think if I scored straighter and broke with the half off the table method the whole time it would have ended up cleaner. On the other hand, I kind of like the look at the top of it like that since I'm currently keeping it lidless with a lower water level

I am so jealous i've said before that I have a soft spot for white fish but also solid blacks! hence my breeding projects! Very beautiful fish, bet you are very happy with him! Nice tank too!

He is gorgeous and well worth getting on a spur of the moment.  :D  Love the tank but I will caution that even with the water level lowered, there is still the danger of him jumping out.  Bettas believe they can fly and can jump amazing heights.

Wildbetta said:
He is gorgeous and well worth getting on a spur of the moment.  :D  Love the tank but I will caution that even with the water level lowered, there is still the danger of him jumping out.  Bettas believe they can fly and can jump amazing heights.
I can +1 this, as my Vader (has glass lid) but jumps out of water to get dried flakes above water level.

So you guys think he could clear the glass as is right now?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back