Suitable reef tankmates for captive bred clownfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am considering getting into the reef keeping hobby once I have the housing and money to support it.

Coming from the freshwater keeping hobby which I have been in for over a year now I am either gonna build myself a biotope of the Amazon river and it's many parts in the form of a paludarium or a reef tank that replicates the native enviroment of the first fish I choose which in my case would be captive bred clownfish .

I am more than willing to do extensive research about reefkeeping to make sure I am succesful in the long run like I have been with my current 145 l tank.

Regarding tankmates like corals and fish I want to make sure they are not wild caught and that they are raised in captivity,after watching Finding Nemo I was determined to never buy wild caught marine aquarium fish because of the damage it does to the environment .

Regarding the environment to recreate it would have to be the seas such as the indian ocean.

What are some suitable tankmates for clownfish that can easily be found raised in captivity but that can also be found with clownfish in the wild?.

What are some good resources about reef biotopes and saltwater biotope tanks in general besides the small number of articles I have found compared to the freshwater scene?

Never had a reef tank but I did watch a few episodes of 52 Weeks of Reefing, that should keep you busy :)

One positive issue with many corals, fragging.

Fragging refers to the process of removing a small segment from a “mother colony” of coral. Traditional fragging generally consists of taking fragments of at least three square centimeters, while micro-fragging involves removing a section of no more than one square centimeter.

Hopefully this will stop harvesting many types of corals from the wild.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What species of anemone fish (clown fish) did you want to keep?

--------------------
Small species of anemone fish (Amphiprion ocellaris and percula) are relatively small and peaceful except when breeding. They can be kept in smaller tanks than most other species of anemone fish, which get bigger and can reach 4-5 inches.

--------------------
Any documentary on coral reefs will show you what fish and corals go together. Basically any tropical marine fish will come from a coral reef, whereas temperate marine fish come from rocky reefs (contain rock but no coral).

--------------------
Most marine fishes are wild caught and very few are captive bred. A lot of anemone fish and some damselfish are captive bred. Some small angelfish are captive bred too, but most others are wild caught. Depending on where the fish are caught will determine what they are caught with.

Fish from Australia, America, Hawaii are all hand caught with nets. Fish from Indonesia can be hand caught with nets or cyanide caught. However, cyanide caught fish are becoming less common due to importers and shops refusing to take fish that are cyanide caught.

Lots of Acropora and some soft corals are grown in captivity from fragments taken from other corals. Most corals are wild caught but they are also on the endangered list now due to global warming and bleaching that will eventually kill the tropical corals. So taking them into captivity and keeping them alive there, can contribute to their long term survival.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back