Suggestions, please.

Ridgerunner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to find a bargain 55 gallon tank. Iā€™m going to upgrade from a 30 gallon. Right now I gave 2 Pearl Gourami, 6 Cory Cats and 3 Rosy Barbs (I think). What would I be able to add to this group? Previously, I lost a Pearl and 3 Rosy Barbs and my Bushy NosePleco. I will probably attempt to replenish the Pearls, Rosy Barbs and Pleco.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

What sex are the pearl gouramis?
If you have a pr in the tank, I would not ad any more gouramis.

Rosy barbs like groups of at least 6 (preferably 10 or more).

---------------------
Before you get anything else,
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

I was lucky enough to find a bargain 55 gallon tank. Iā€™m going to upgrade from a 30 gallon. Right now I gave 2 Pearl Gourami, 6 Cory Cats and 3 Rosy Barbs (I think). What would I be able to add to this group? Previously, I lost a Pearl and 3 Rosy Barbs and my Bushy NosePleco. I will probably attempt to replenish the Pearls, Rosy Barbs and Pleco.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.
Pic of the "suspected" rosy barbs?

Most reactions

Back