Suggestions On How To Make Your Tank Better Looking And Cleaner

lewis burnett

New Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi i was wondering does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a tank look nice. (I have a juwel rio 125.) I tried real plants and they got completely trashed by all my fish. probably the loaches. Also my old tank always use to look really clean however no matter what i do this tank never satisfies me and the clarity never looks brilliant.. All i have now is wood and roots at the bottom but it looks so boring. Thanks
 
What fish have you got in it at the mo?
And also what filter(s)?


Hi i have a fluval u3 and a small rena internal filter.
FISH: 3 Blue gouramis
1 rainbow fish
1 silver shark
5 silver tip tetra
1 pakistani loach
2 Zebra loach
1 clown loach
1 Hoplo catfish
1 zebra plec
2 small bristlenose plecs
 
Hmm I can see a few suspects in there for uprooting plants...
Plant wise I'd be thinking of adding Java Fern, Java Moss and various anubias then work from there. They're all pretty tough plants. Also the java fern and anubias should be tied to bogwood and rocks etc. So no uprooting! :)
Moss balls might be a good addition too.

And now for the bad news.
Your tank is not only over stocked, but some of the fish you listed will actually outgrow the tank.
Also with that sort of stocking I'd have alot more than a fluval U3 on it.
 
and by zebra plec im guessing you dont mean a L046, L098, L173?

i find that black gravel/sand and black background looks nice.

a few of those fish need to be kept in groups too, but will grow too big for your tank. i would consider selling/swapping the fish for smaller species. Shoaling fish look great in a clean tank, i find rummy nose tetras look impressive with a big shoal :good:
 
I agree with a black background and dark gravel. I will be doing any new tanks I get like that! :)


My clown loach has been in there for about three years and am aware that they do grow big however he seems fine. The silver shark has actually been in there longer. He was transferred from my old tank and have had him 7 years.
 
You can't in any way argue that your tank is a healthy or safe environment for those fish. End of.
I'm sure because it has lived so far that means there must be nothing wrong with them at all...
Then one day when they die, with no clear reason, you'll go 'Oh it was just their time'. When actually you've shortened their life dramatically due to incorrect living conditions.
 
Agree with curiousity.

Silver sharks kept in the correct environment can be expected to reach around 15/20 years old

The fish I recommend you rehome are as follows:

Defo the shark and clown loach, I'd look at getting rid of at least 1 plec as you have 3 which for that size tank will be causing waste galore.

What sort of gouramis are they?

Andy
 
dark gravel/sand with nice green plants

sand makes a huge difference aswell! im changing to it in a week or so hopefully :good:
 
I agree with a black background and dark gravel. I will be doing any new tanks I get like that! :)


My clown loach has been in there for about three years and am aware that they do grow big however he seems fine. The silver shark has actually been in there longer. He was transferred from my old tank and have had him 7 years.
I wouldn't want to get rid of my fish if I had it that long either! I would simply suggest looking for a larger tank, and over filtering, generally the best way to go about it in my book, it's win/win. No reason to rehome your fish you've had so long though ;)
 
As t1tanrush says, upgrading the tank is an option but with a bala shark you would need a minimum of 100/120 US gallons

Andy
Based upon the size he's in now at least a 55g/75g could hold him off for a good amount of time though, no reason to force him into a huge tank thats so much more expensive right away ;)
 
Maybe so but you should always judge the tank size you put them in by the size of the adult fish. If the fish is already 7 years old I'd recommend putting him in a correctly sized tank now before its growth is stunted (if it already hasnt been)

Plus buying a 55/75 gall now and then having to buy another even bigger tank in 2/3 years will work out far more expensive in the long run

Andy

Edit: Plus a 75 gall would be absolute minimum anyway for the clown loach!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top