Suggestions for a suitable vict-...i mean...participant

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LordHappy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Happy day,

We are gathered here today to deal with a serious matter, a very serious matter indeed. I have come to you, the people, to seek your guidance on...a sacrifice.

I have a new 9.6gl quasi-Walstad Method tank. While I did place root tabs, thus violating the purity of the method, the tank has no other ferts, filter, heater or pump. The tank is in an office, so the temp should be stable between 73-76. It has a dirt core and Eco-complete cap, as well as wood, plants, okho stone and perhaps 1lb of smaller-than-pea gravel, all of which soaked in a mature tank for 10+ days. The wood has been in tanks for years.

This tank has been quietly cycling for about 3 weeks. It has one tiny snail that came in with some plants that's been dutifully cleaning. Otherwise, the plants are doing their thing and there hasn't been much melt, even among the dwarf sags.

The goal is for this to be a tank for blue dream and amano shrimp, but I am leery about dumping $50 of critters in there. I am willing to sacrifice a life, not my money, for heavens sake...,that would be sheer madness. So I need a potential sacrificial critter. I am open to keeping a nerite/mystery/apple/inset-name snail in this tank, and wondered if that would be a good one to offer to the God of the Cycle or if a fish would be better, and if so, what kind.

I await your nominations.

Just get ammonia and nitrite tests. That way no sacrifices are needed.

Why would you need to sacrifice a poor critters life, when you can use a test kit like API Freshwater Master Kit to find out when the tank water is safe for new pets. Newbies to the hobby don't know things like this, I am also guilty of endangering aquarium critters when I was learning. Putting them in an aquarium before it is properly cycled and ready.

Learning about properly caring for an aquarium is easy these days, youtube and the internet including forums like this one, is full of people explaining how to take care of aquariums.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Happy day Utar...oh, I know my water is good. The beautiful south Florida water, the wood, the gravel I used for gradient, the plants and most of the hardscape all came from my existing tanks. The new things are the Eco-complete, the dirt, the glass, the thermometer and 11 river stones. I have new shoots on the dwarf sag, the Damn Duckweed and red root floaters are multiplying, and the mosses are being mossy. Even the Hygrophila has gotten into the act. And yet...its a new tank. And just like a bottle of Moet Chandon is sacrificed on the bow of a new ship before its maiden voyage, the Gods always want a sacrifice with a new tank. :)

You won't have a problem no sacrifice needed, just add 2 or 3 fish at a time over the next couple of months and the tank will be fine. Make sure that between 30-50% of the tank volume is in plant.

Happy day Itiwhetu,

The tank is going to be fishless...blue dream and amano shrimp, only. And a snail of some sort. I do have a collection of cherry barbs in my 125g, so I could definitely fish one of those out.

Happy day Itiwhetu,

The tank is going to be fishless...blue dream and amano shrimp, only. And a snail of some sort. I do have a collection of cherry barbs in my 125g, so I could definitely fish one of those out.
Perfect, then put them back in a couple of months. You never know they may spawn in the meantime and then you will need another tank :rofl:

Happy day Utar...oh, I know my water is good. The beautiful south Florida water, the wood, the gravel I used for gradient, the plants and most of the hardscape all came from my existing tanks. The new things are the Eco-complete, the dirt, the glass, the thermometer and 11 river stones. I have new shoots on the dwarf sag, the Damn Duckweed and red root floaters are multiplying, and the mosses are being mossy. Even the Hygrophila has gotten into the act. And yet...its a new tank. And just like a bottle of Moet Chandon is sacrificed on the bow of a new ship before its maiden voyage, the Gods always want a sacrifice with a new tank. :)
You and I are very lucky to have a good water source for our aquariums, mine comes from a river not far from my house. The water plant sets right on the river.

So now I just need to find one deserving of such punishment. One particular female has been carrying on in a most tawdry and salacious manner. It does mean I will have to feed them, though...you know, when I dreamed up this escapade of putting a tank in the office, the idea was for it to be maintenance free. It has turned into a collapsible bucket, a separate test kit, a tds pen, net and a scrubber. Plus a neat pair of drawer pulls to glue to the glass lid. I ordered some purple and blue mystery snails. They will help ramp stuff up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back