Subwassertang with snail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

milindsaraswala

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yesterday, I saw Subwassertang in my local pet tied with stone very nicely. I like to buy it for my shrimp tank but it was having snails on it. So I did not buy it. Kindly let me know how we can remove snail from it without disturbing plant, if it is sure than only I will buy the plant.

Reason is that I have started my 7.6 gallon from scratch and I waited for 2.5 half month for cycling to finish, I don't want to ruin it. Until now I did not add any shrimp too

Thank you in advance

you could order some monoselenium tenerum from tropica in a 12grow pot, it is lab grown with a guarantee to be free from algae snails and pests, it is the same plant as what you are calling subwassertang.

Bear in mind anything you dip it in will be retained by the plant and subsequently released when it's placed in the tank so be careful-especially subwassertang it's basically seaweed so very permeable. Snails can be removed by hand or I just keep botia loaches in most of my tanks. They suck snails right out of their shells. I crashed a whole tank bleach-dipping so not worth it. Keep chemicals away from well established tanks as a general rule. I like to encourage vigorous health in the stock so there's no need to sterilize anything. It's like vaccines making us all more susceptible in future generations - just not the desired result. - I want my sytems to be able to handle some outside interference-a few snails, etc. -to essentially have a vigorous immune system if you will. A few snails cleaning up can be good for a tank
just my $.02

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

I love my snails Brody.... they are part of any natural aquatic eco-system, i have pond snails and malaysian trumpets.

I love my snails Brody.... they are part of any natural aquatic eco-system, i have pond snails and malaysian trumpets.
I bought the plant, If I quarantine it in bucket for 3-4 days in tap water. What do you say.

I got this idea because when I just put it for 1 hour, and remove plant from bucket I found more than 20 snails came out of the plant moving on the bucket, so I removed the snail with water and refill the water and put plant in it again

Try to identify the life cycle of the specific type of snail and go from there. If there's eggs they should hatch in a certain amount of time and put an alternate food source (ie. piece of carrot/cucumber) in with them to draw them away from the subwassertang and I'd use water-change water as opposed to tap just to acclimate the plant some

...really cool plant just needs to be manicured by current or shrimp/scuds to really flourish. It can collect aufuchs/detritus/etc in a still tank. Great with shrimp/guppy fry

Mystery snails will eat it. Fish that like to pick will wear it down also. For some reason,aquascapers avoid it of you look at the competitions. I like it..but found out it's like very fine leafed plants,delicate plants -Hydrocotyle Japanese,even Cardamine..just too tasty unlike the Java ferns,and other thicker leafed plants.

I would advice against buying anything live that may be contaminated. These snails will begin to breed like crazy once in the tank not to mention the possibility of the diseases they may carry. I would say if you really want this specific plant adding assasin snails in with the plants would be beneficial. Within a few days all snails will be gone, these are also very small so ideal for smaller aquariums. Alternatively if you do not wish to add another type of snail, I was once advised to add a small piece of cucumber into my fish tank a few years back when I had problems with these pests! Once the snails make their way onto the cucumber this can be taken out and disposed of. If you could find some sort of chemical to remove them then this would be ideal, however I have never had any luck myself.

Most reactions

trending

Back