Substrate - in planted tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

imw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I am at the stage of thinking about substrate and (Juwel 240) which one(s) to look at.

I am planning to have a mixed tetra tank, with maybe one show fish, so any thoughts on which type of substrate I should look at and if allowed some links so I can have a look see.

Thanks in Advance.

Tets.

No bottom dwelling fish?

If there are to be no bottom dwelling fish ever, sand or gravel. If you intend live plants, small gravel is better than large. Avoid white as it unsettles fish.
Perhaps the cheapest, if that is a consideration, is Argos play sand. I have sand, not play sand but one made for aquariums that I found in a local shop.

No bottom dwelling fish?

If there are to be no bottom dwelling fish ever, sand or gravel. If you intend live plants, small gravel is better than large. Avoid white as it unsettles fish.
Perhaps the cheapest, if that is a consideration, is Argos play sand. I have sand, not play sand but one made for aquariums that I found in a local shop.
Hi,

Just in planning stage, so I guess fish stock will evolve, so yes maybe - tank will be planted - will seek advice before I add.

In view of the above - is there one which will cover most bases ?

Can I also say, your advice is appreciated.

ATB

Tets

Sand is the one to go for if at sometime in the future there is the possibility of bottom dwellers.

Unless you intend going for an underwater garden with a few fish for added interest, plant substrates are not needed. For a fish tank with plants, an inert substrate is fine. You would just need to use root tabs for root feeders and liquid fertiliser for leaf feeders.

Any brand of aquarium sand or Argos play sand would be suitable, it's just that aquarium sand costs more and with a 240 litre tank you'll need a fair amount.

I concur. An inert sand substrate is practically free of problems assuming the tank is biologically balanced (any substrate can be trouble if not). Plants grow very well in sand, and you will have no fish issues. As you are in the UK, the Argos Play Sand has a good reputation among aquarists on TFF.

Thanks for the input - last question on this subject - do I need to wash the play sand before I add to tank ?

Thank you,

Tets

Thanks for the input - last question on this subject - do I need to wash the play sand before I add to tank ?

Thank you,

Tets

Yes. And if it is anything like the Quikrete Play Sand available in North America, it will be quite dirty. I don't go overboard, just maybe four or five rinses of each bucket (with maybe 4 or 5 cups of sand in each) to get the worst of the dirt.

Any cloudiness from the sand will clear by the time you are ready for fish. I don't know how you are planning to cycle the tank though you did mention CO2 in another thread so presumably you will be doing a silent (plant) cycle? If this is what you intend, you'll need to allow the plants to establish before getting fish.

Any cloudiness from the sand will clear by the time you are ready for fish. I don't know how you are planning to cycle the tank though you did mention CO2 in another thread so presumably you will be doing a silent (plant) cycle? If this is what you intend, you'll need to allow the plants to establish before getting fish.
Hi, Yes that is my intention. Just a small amount of confusion on my part, this method suggests adding 2-3 fish when appropriate. As I intend to start with Tetras, and given these fish like to be in a group (6 or more) can I add a small shoal ? (more than2-3 ?) - quote from sticky on subject " It is best to only get a few (1-3) small fish at a time to avoid an ammonia spike."

ATB

Tets.

Last edited:
Hi, Yes that is my intention. Just a small amount of confusion on my part, this method suggests adding 2-3 fish when appropriate. As I intend to start with Tetras, and given these fish like to be in a group (6 or more) can I add a small shoal ? (more than2-3 ?) - quote from sticky on subject " It is best to only get a few (1-3) small fish at a time to avoid an ammonia spike."

ATB

Tets.

First, things depend upon the plants; fast-growers like floating plants and stem plants, once established, will have an almost unlimited ability to take up ammonia/ammonium. Floating plants growing well are often spoken of as "ammonia sinks," and with good reason. I asked Tom Barr about this once, and his response was that it would be nearly impossible to put so many new fish in a tank that the plants could not easily handle the increased ammonia.

This is why we go on about floating plants that are showing growth; it is virtually fool-proof. Let us know what plants and how many when you have them, and make sure they are growing and not melting.

Shoaling fish like tetras should always be introduced to the tank together at the same time, always; the only exception might be if the store only had a few, and you wanted the species. But the more there are, the less stress and less opportunity for disease (like ich). Some species develop an hierarchy, and for these it is certainly crucial to introduce all of the intended group together. I assume the Juwel 240 is 240 liters, so with this amount of space, increase the size of the groups of shoaling species well beyond six. Around 12-15 depending upon the species would be better.

Most reactions

trending

Back