Substrate heating cables

Supersalmon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I hope to add a substrate cable heater in a new planted set up to circulate nutrients. Does this cable also heat the water or will I still need the water heater as well. Its probably a stupid question, but dont want to overheat the water with 2 heaters, Thanks

You will need a heater/thermostat too, this will keep the water temp. constant. Depending on the wattage of your heater cable you may need to put it on a timer to prevent overheating. I have a 25W Rena-Cor heater cable in a 125 litre (34 US Gallon) and it switches on with the lights (10 hours a day).

If you're lucky though you may have just the right amount of heating/heat loss with the cable alone left on 24/7. This may be ok but another heater/stat would be advisable for backup.

HTH

gf225 said:
This may be ok but another heater/stat would be advisable for backup.
Exactly, and it's always good to have an extra heater in your tank just in case anything happens.

I thought heater cables were unnecessary except for places where the ambient room temperature was really cold.

I think they help to circulate the nutrients round the plant roots, and I also think some plants like a little warmth at their roots

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back