Substrate Changes

UK_Dave

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Just after the new year I am going to be changing the set up for my turtles, im taking away their tank, and making an indoor style pond for them using a pre fabricated pond, and making a land area around it for them to bask (Spoiled Turtles ay lol)

So, what im hoping to do is syphon the water from the fish tank into the tank that the turtles are in at the moment (once cleaned), and put my fish in there overnight with the filter and heater, so I can muck around with the fish tank.

But, what im wondering is, what is the easiest way to refill the fish tank once the new substrate is in? Its just im hoping to change it to sand, but all I can imagine is when filling the tank, all the sand and water mixing and giving me filthy looking water until it settles!

Is there and easier way to do it without disturbing the sand that will be on the bottom of the tank so it doesnt take ages to settle?

Its just I dont want to leave the water too long, so the filter then has to help cycle it again, or for any of the fish to die from ingesting too much floating sand particles!
 
Try putting a deflector of some kind on top of the sand. I use a dinner plate. Then siphon the water back in instead of just pouring it in. My set up is a simple board laid across the top of the tank to hold the bucket while I siphon the water in. The other end of the hose is on top of my deflector.
BucketOnTop.jpg
 
oh, piccies when its done! :)

piccies of what? the spoiled turtles or the new tank set up once its all done?

Im surprised my other half hasnt told me I love the turtles more than her lol!
 
I will try remember once its done, not going to start till after the new year, got to get the expense of this time of year over and done with and make sure the kids are happy!

Then I got to find the best colour sand, some rocks, and a couple of other bits

Me and the other half have decided that if we are going to go through all the work to move the turtles, then move the fish into that tank, we may aswell do it correctly!

We have a bubble curtain she wanted in there, but it has this annoying habit of lifting when the loaches scavenge around it, so I want to use my tank sealant to try stick the weights down so it stops lifting! Plus, I will need to make sure the rocks are well put in place, last thing I want is 1 rolling down and either hurting a fish, or cracking the tank

But, if all goes well with the image I have in my head, it should look very nice......I hope!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top