Stupid Platies

Jazzzz

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
833
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
turo, devon
My platie tank is heavilly planted and is now full of fry ranging from 1 month to 3 months in age

All i want is 3 of the 3 month old fry for my 120L tank but its near impposible as they have never been netted before and the whole thing is a nightmare

any ideas i tried feeding above the net?

Also as the new water is a similar temp do i need to acclimatise them
 
I know your pain, I had to do that with Molly fry and even I didn't catch all of them. Although my ADF and Oto where by far worse to catch. Just dont give up and I chased them to the glass and held the need there until they try to go backwards and then you got them. Just takes times and patience.
 
Feed them first to slow them down then use the two net method as stated above, if you think platties are bad try netting danios in a planted tank!!!
 
I had runny nose (as my daughter calls them) in a 60 litre and was trying to catch them to put in my 200, it took me over an hour to catch 6!
 
a botle trap works wonders. get an old drinks bottle rince it out chop the top off and insert it into the top of the bottle make sure there no sharp edges add some food and put it in the tank then wait

image off google..................... (supposed to take the lable off and clean the glue up)

gotcha.jpg
 
Sometimes you have to trick them - leave the net in the tank for a few minutes, keep it very still. let them come and go but don't move it. They will soon think it's another tank decoration. Once you have gained their confidence and they enter the net - whoosh, scoop them upwards quickly.

Another way I found useful was to use a small bowl rather than a net. Hold it half in the water at the top, wait for a fish to swim nearby (put some floating flakes in) and then plunge the bowl quickly downwards - the fish will be pulled down with the flow of water into the bowl, then you just have to quickly pull the bowl out before the fish has a chance to swim back out.

I had a nightmare of a job on Saturday, trying to catch my 4" red tailed shark - he wasn't having any of it - kept hiding right under the rocks where no net or bowl could reach him. In the end I had to remove half of the stuff from the tank just to catch him, naughty boy. I think he knew he was getting carted off to the LFS for being a bully!!

Regards - Athena
 
first off, Flash22, thats a really good idea actually, cant wait to try it out lol
athenas idea about leavin the net in tank for awhile is really good, Ive tried it and it does work.
Alot of the time i use lettuce leaves to catch them. I always have some lettuce leaves in my tanks, as i dont use breeding traps to seperate fry from adults.
When the fry are born, they usually hide in the plants, but when they go up near the top of the tank, they go to the lettuce. they hide in the crinkles in the lettuce leaves, so bringin the net underneath the leave and all, i can easily catch the fry :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top