Stupid Algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

evanb

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello. I have a reasonably new tank which I've set up. It's a aqua nano 40. I've been having a few issues with algae growth. As far as I can see, there are at least 3 different species of algae. If anyone knows what they might be and how to treat them I would really appreciate it as I've no clue whatsoever when it comes to that sort of thing.
20201014_223354.jpg
20201014_223302.jpg
20201014_223240.jpg

1st two pics are diatoms which are recognised by most as being present in newly setup tanks, something to do with the silica in the substrate.
The third is beard/brush algae.
From your pics it looks like your light is much too bright, or the exposure on your camera is.
Do you have a full shot of your tank?
How long do you have lights on for?

Ok thanks. I've been trying to limit the time the lights are on for as I gathered that has some effect of algae growth. I'm in the process of looking for a dimmer to fix into it which should help that.
Here's a pic of the tank.
20201014_224523.jpg

Ok thanks. I've been trying to limit the time the lights are on for as I gathered that has some effect of algae growth. I'm in the process of looking for a dimmer to fix into it which should help that.
Here's a pic of the tank.View attachment 119660
Great looking setup! Beautiful piece of wood. Yeh it does look quite bright, with the minimal amount of plants you have, algae will be making the most of the resources (light, co2 and nutrients). An alternative to dimming your light could be to add floating plants like frogbit, like Adorabelle has done here:

Hey yep that's a good idea! I literally was going to get some frogbit the other day but my lfs didn't have any. I'm also hoping to get some more tall plants to cover the ugly black back.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back