Re-starting 15 gallon, 1st time with sand

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Don't write off LEDs. They are a lot better than they used to be. I have them in all 4 of my tanks and no algae problems. Two of these came with the tanks (Aqua One and Fluval Flex). The third also came with the tank but it was a super budget tank which cost less than many light units on their own. The fourth is a Nicrew. The only thing to look out for is intensity. The manufacturers are all racing to produce more and brighter lights which may be too bright in a low tech tank. Mine all have dimmers except for the Aqua One, and that tank does have a bit <coff> of frogbit to filter the lights.

Don't write off LEDs. They are a lot better than they used to be. I have them in all 4 of my tanks and no algae problems. Two of these came with the tanks (Aqua One and Fluval Flex). The third also came with the tank but it was a super budget tank which cost less than many light units on their own. The fourth is a Nicrew. The only thing to look out for is intensity. The manufacturers are all racing to produce more and brighter lights which may be too bright in a low tech tank. Mine all have dimmers except for the Aqua One, and that tank does have a bit <coff> of frogbit to filter the lights.
Thank you kindly! Sounds like the Nicrew wouldn't be a bad buy, especially if one with a timer where I could control the intensity and ramp up/down.

Speaking of frogbit, lol. Do you use something to corral the frogbit to one side? Mine seems to spread out a lot, and it's tricky with the output for the canister on the right blowing it one way, and the sponge filter on the left blowing it the other way. I might have to rearrange filters.... but I'd like to try using airline tubing to contain it somewhat, just not sure how?

Speaking of frogbit, lol. Do you use something to corral the frogbit to one side? Mine seems to spread out a lot, and it's tricky with the output for the canister on the right blowing it one way, and the sponge filter on the left blowing it the other way. I might have to rearrange filters....
I have used airline in the past. In the pic in my signature I just used the tank cross brace and had the level high enough that that kept it in half the tank. These days it just floats free. In the office tank I have a spraybar running across the length of the back wall. That pushes most of the water sprite to the front of the tank so it looks like I have 100% coverage. In reality its probably only 25-30%

For the airline I siliconed the hose to rubber suckers and stretched it across the tank. Another good way is to make a loop and attach it to a sucker using thread. Make sure the thread is long enough to allow the whole thing to move up and down - that way everything stays in place when you do a water change.

Another good way is to make a loop and attach it to a sucker using thread. Make sure the thread is long enough to allow the whole thing to move up and down - that way everything stays in place when you do a water change.
That is genius! Thank you so much. I had thought of just supergluing some airline hose to some suckers, but wondered about water changes, thinking it would be a hassle to put everything back in the corral after a water change. Some thread is brilliant! Just have to get the length right so it works even when the water is low.

Both of my filters are at the back so they are pushing the frogbit to the front and middle areas, like your water sprite, but I'd quite like to keep it to one half, so there's a dark and a light side for different plans and for a more interesting viewing.

Updated tank photo as of today, added some more Tetra Plantamin liquid ferts today, have ordered some TNC root plugs to cautiously add for the root feeders later since I removed most of the cheap rubbish ones.
Really must make that frogbit corral soon too! I can't get over how fast frogbit roots regrow after being trimmed short too, it's crazy, you can practically see them growing!
DSCF4065.JPG

Updated tank photo as of today, added some more Tetra Plantamin liquid ferts today, have ordered some TNC root plugs to cautiously add for the root feeders later since I removed most of the cheap rubbish ones.
Really must make that frogbit corral soon too! I can't get over how fast frogbit roots regrow after being trimmed short too, it's crazy, you can practically see them growing!
View attachment 119309
Stunning!

No, I just like planted tanks! Hows the Alternanthera doing?
Sorry man, I didn't see this! Alternanthera is alive, it's darker than I'd like, but hasn't died off, so it'll do for now :D

Update: I just saw a shrimplet!! A little red baby! First shrimplet I've seen since the nightmare with the toxic plants began at the end of August. I'm so happy! :yahoo: Cories breeding, guppies breeding, shrimp breeding. So glad that awful few months seems to have to an end at last!
@Ch4rlie @essjay

That’s a real good sign that things seem to have turned around now for your shrimps.

That was a long hard slog for you to get past that, harsh lesson learned about the dangers of pesticides treatment on plants outside the EU, but I’ve and hopefully all the other readers on this thread will now be well aware about this and to ensure to ask LFS staff if plants have been treated or not, if in doubt, walk away imho.

Looks like this tank has now come to its own and is thriving!

Well done indeed ;)

That’s a real good sign that things seem to have turned around now for your shrimps.

That was a long hard slog for you to get past that, harsh lesson learned about the dangers of pesticides treatment on plants outside the EU, but I’ve and hopefully all the other readers on this thread will now be well aware about this and to ensure to ask LFS staff if plants have been treated or not, if in doubt, walk away imho.

Looks like this tank has now come to its own and is thriving!

Well done indeed ;)
Thank you so much! You and essjay have been so helpful and supportive through the whole thing, I had to share the good news!

It really was a horrible few months, I was treating for worms for a month before this, then the poisoned plant thing happened and I needed to set up a whole new tank, and still kept losing more, then the cheap ferts nitrite spike thing... it really has been a rough few months, tank wise. So seeing healthy growing guppy babies, now cory babies, and finally baby shrimp... I'm a very happy woman right now!

I'm very happy if my experience helps others avoid the plant trap, I don't want anyone else to go through this.

Congrats on the shrimplet :)
Thank you! I was just doing a little maintenance on the tank which meant a small water change, and thought I'd better be extra careful checking the bucket now, and sure enough, a shrimplet was in there! I used to find that a bit of a nightmare, trying not to suck them up, and checking so carefully for shrimplets all the time, but I'm so happy to have that 'problem' again! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back